Can't find my chapters

I did a quick search and didn't see any topic that answered my question.

This is telling me there are no chapters, despite having all my chapter titles in Headline 2 format.  I tried it with and without manual page breaks at the end of previous chapters.

How can I get it to recognize the Headline 2 format and add my chapters to the ToC?

Comments

• Won't that make them all look like the title of the book? The guide said Heading 2 was for chapters.
  • No, it won't.  JN gave good advice.

• I have a different question I hope you will answer. My chapters show up correctly after I uploaded my file in the Content Creation Wizard. So I moved on through the rest of the process. When I get to the end and download the interior file, the Table of Contents is not there. It goes from Title page to copyright to first chapter.

I have the Title page, copyright page, then chapters all in one file. Should I make a different file for the first pages? I just discovered this is the same on the first ebook we did even though the chapters showed correctly in the first part of the process.

Thanks for your help.

• KitWayne, the epub system makes its own the table of contents and it doesn't recognize Heading 2, only Heading 1.

Make every chapter in Heading 1 including the copyright as a chapter. Put every chapter with "Page Break" in every page, and save the file in the preparation us marked as final (Windows 7). Make sure that your text don't have "electronic marks" (as I call them). Make visible the paragraph mark and if you see anything else except the marks of paragraph or space (.) put them out with the backspace key.

• Should I make a different file for the first pages? No. This is wrong. Leave the text as the Word give it to you.

Make every chapter in Heading 1 including the copyright as a chapter. Put every chapter with "Page Break" in every page, and save the file in the preparation us marked as final (Windows 7). Make sure that your text don't have "electronic marks" (as I call them). Make visible the paragraph mark and if you see anything else except the marks of paragraph or space (.) put them out with the backspace key.

• rsdubose wrote:

I have a different question I hope you will answer. My chapters show up correctly after I uploaded my file in the Content Creation Wizard. So I moved on through the rest of the process. When I get to the end and download the interior file, the Table of Contents is not there. It goes from Title page to copyright to first chapter.

I have the Title page, copyright page, then chapters all in one file. Should I make a different file for the first pages? I just discovered this is the same on the first ebook we did even though the chapters showed correctly in the first part of the process.

Thanks for your help.

Ebooks don't have a table of contents in the book itself like a print book does. Instead, the ereader will have a button to access the table of contents and allow the reader to select a location in the table to jump to that position in the file. You'll notice this with the vast majority of ebooks - there is no table of contents as you swipe through the front matter.

It is possible to manually create a table of contents page and link the contents to the correct locations in the file, but I strongly encourage you not to do so, as it presents a variety of potential problems which could hinder finishing publishing the book and getting it distributed properly.

• Great! I had seen TOC in other ebooks and thought mine were wrong. Thank you, thank you,, thank you!