Amazon print quality worse then from Lulu?

OK, so I bought a copy of my own book from Amazon. For some reason, it was just as cheap as ordering from Lulu that day. 

Anyways, when it arrived from Amazon I noticed that it was a cheaper print job. 

I am not a paper expert, but there was a noticable difference in quality. 

Is there any sort of plausible explanation? 

Comments

• Not for me, but different publishers use different paper stock, so there will be variations. However, you didn't provide much detail about your book. What was the trim size? Is it b&w or color interior, with or without images? Did you choose cream or white paper for your book? 

I'll tell you my experience. For about a year and a half I was using Lulu for my print books, 6 X 9, b&w, cream paper, no images. The paper's texture is smooth to the touch and isn't a heavy cream color, it seems to have a hint of gray. But I was never a fan of the trim size, so my last book I published through CreateSpace in 5.5 X 8.5. The paper feels slightly heavier, rougher in texture (more "tooth"), and appears a bit yellow-creamier. The interior was fine, the text crisp. The color on the cover was great. I've started republishing my books through CS and have had proof copies printed in two different facilities; the product has always been consistent. I'm very satisfied with the Amazon/CS quality.   

• Mine are full sized, full color photo guides. So that is why it is so noticable. 

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Most vendors downstream of Lulu will go with the thinner publisher-grape paperstock.

Something about maximizing profit comes to mind.

Stottman wrote:

OK, so I bought a copy of my own book from Amazon. For some reason, it was just as cheap as ordering from Lulu that day. 

Anyways, when it arrived from Amazon I noticed that it was a cheaper print job. 

I am not a paper expert, but there was a noticable difference in quality. 

Is there any sort of plausible explanation? 

• I have found the same - my third book looks thin and shoddy.  I'm not at all happy.