Can I write anonymously?

I would like to publish some of my books without my name as the author or copyright holder. Can I do this, and put a pseudonym instead?

Comments

• Of course, go ahead.

• The book is not anonymous if you use a pseudonym. It would be anonymous if it didn't bear any author's name.

In the copyright page, you are supposed to enter either your real name, or your pseudonym, provided the latter will be used in the form for the legal deposit.

• Per the US Copyright website:

Anonymous Work

An author's contribution to a work is “anonymous” if that author is not identified on the copies or phonorecords of the work. If the contribution is anonymous, you may:

• reveal the author's identity even though the work is anonymous, or
    • leave the author fields blank, or
    • give “Anonymous” in the last name field.
  • What matters are Lulu's requirements. You cannot leave the author field blank.

The answer, therefore, is that you cannot publish anonymously but you can

publish under a fictitious name, even if that name is A.N. Other.

• You can use the word Anonymous as the author name, or any made up name.

• I think the question is more along the lines of:

Could I write a book anonymously without it being linked to my account.

For example, if you go to my Author Spotlight, http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/johnsnape , you can see all of the books I've published, even though I would like to just have the names with my name on them show up.

Is it possible with single account?

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

You can write it, do it as Direct Access, but that leaves the question of how you would market it.

If you have your own website you could post the Direct Access link there, but the anonymity would be lacking unless you're offering anonymous works by several individuals.

If you have to do it anonymously then it would be far easier for you to have a secondary account specifically for anonymous works.

johnsnape wrote:

I think the question is more along the lines of:

Could I write a book anonymously without it being linked to my account.

For example, if you go to my Author Spotlight, http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/johnsnape , you can see all of the books I've published, even though I would like to just have the names with my name on them show up.

Is it possible with single account?

• Sign it the usual "Ann Onymous" LOL.

• You can only take anonymity so far. If you for example sell millions of books (depsite having an anonymous name as author), you are going to have to wire your earnings to your bank account or paypal account, under your name. And in my country you need proof of identity to set up a bank account. You could set up a bank account under a business name, but you still wont be completely secure in anonymity. It would just take someone trying to find out who you are a bit longer to find out who you are.

You may be able to get around this by using bitcoin or something. But i am not sure of this as i dont know enough about bitcoin.