Pirated downloads of my Lulu books?

Occasionally I do a search on Google for my name, to see where it pops up, on about pages 6,7 or 8, several 'free ebook download sites' list my books - here is one such screenshotpirate ebook download

I know that I have never had an ebook version of any of my Lulu books. Where are these people (and there is an entire nest of them) getting these ebook downloadable files from? Having said that, I tried a couple, and nothing happened. Lulu email suggested that these outfits are Amazon based. Doh ...

cheers

Comments

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Most likely they're virus vectors.

• SphinxCameron wrote:

please explain to a grammaw what a virus vector is, thanks.

Edited: I looked up on Google, which says: "Viral vectors are tools commonly used by molecular biologists to deliver genetic material into cells. This process can be performed inside a living organism (in vivo) or in cell culture (in vitro). Viruses have evolved specialized molecular mechanisms to efficiently transport their genomes inside the cells they infect."

?

In this case many websites offer what appear to be pirated versions of books.

The unwary or gullible download a PDF of a title they're interested in, a download which often turns out to have a computer virus embedded.

hence a virus vector in that it spreads a computer virus.

tasmanianartist wrote:

SphinxCameron wrote:

please explain to a grammaw what a virus vector is, thanks.

Edited: I looked up on Google, which says: "Viral vectors are tools commonly used by molecular biologists to deliver genetic material into cells. This process can be performed inside a living organism (in vivo) or in cell culture (in vitro). Viruses have evolved specialized molecular mechanisms to efficiently transport their genomes inside the cells they infect."

?

• Thanks Cameron; no wonder my lovely computer refused to download. Love my iMac for that. (I'm surprised at Lulu's comment of 'Amazon'-based). Never mind. May the pirate virus sites rot in Hell.

• Hi tasmanianartist,

Most likely, if someone on our support team mentioned Amazon regarding this issue, what they meant was that once your ebook is distribute through retailers like Amazon, the information for the book can be harvested and used to make the virus-riddled page you see above.

If you see your book on a site like this, you can contact the webmaster for the site (if you can find contact info) and they will almost certainly remove it.

Having done it once, it can take a while.

Be prepared to be aggravated.

Paul_Lulu wrote:
    Hi tasmanianartist,

Most likely, if someone on our support team mentioned Amazon regarding this issue, what they meant was that once your ebook is distribute through retailers like Amazon, the information for the book can be harvested and used to make the virus-riddled page you see above.

If you see your book on a site like this, you can contact the webmaster for the site (if you can find contact info) and they will almost certainly remove it.

• I have found one of mine on Torrent sites. I contacted them and threatened to sue them. It was taken down. I looked youtube and again it was advertised for free download on a website. I had one of the taken down. But as Cameron said most down have the book, some just want to get your email address or take a survey then the book is not there at all. I've seen a lot of lulu books on these sites.

• They also do it with printed books like my L'onirothèque de Quentin Cumbert, Vol. 1.

What is written about the book is nonsense.

Onirothèque-plagiat-1.jpg