Brainstorming and the Amazon monopoly

Here's a great article on Amazon, their basic monopoly over the bookselling market.

amazon-has-basically-no-competition-among-online-booksellers

Lulu's recent wal mart addition was brilliant. I was researching Alibaba and trying to think of ways to reach the Asian market, or any other market in new ways.

Open to ideas.

One that comes to mind as I'm typing is Cosco. What about Cosco? Would they order books? I know they sell them.  Would lulu be able to give them the option to sell our books?

Comments

• I have to say that Amazon works for me. I get a much better royalty from them than I can get through distribution. I would have to sell almost four times as many books, at the same price, through distribution to get the same reward.

• Same here, db. After publishing for about a year and a half and seeing that nearly all my sales were from Amazon, I began the process of moving my projects over to CreateSpace. Not only can I publish in the trim size I prefer and still qualify for expanded distribution, I can sell the books for less yet make a better royalty. 

• I get the best profit so far from Itunes or Inook. Amazon is next. The bad thing about Wally world is that I couldn't find my book with any searches, even the title didn't show up Finally using the ISBN did it show. But it is for sale there and available. Don't know about Cosco. But any additions will be welcome. Ebay is working well to for paperbacks.

• The above link says Amazon's share is 41%. Not sure exactly how that works but it's a lot.

If Amazon has substantial competition and people trust and are willing to find the same books elsewhere at a lower price, Amazon too will lower their distribution take.

A monopoly is a dangerous thing. Like absolute power. If a book gets one bad review on Amazon, it's over. Especially if  you only have one review. I say they need competition. Lots of it. For many reasons.

Bell telephone here used to have a monopoly over the phone lines. And now, for 500 minutes you pay $5 for a calling card, plus you can have  a line with Videotron and other companies. I am thrilled. Bring on multitude.

• Maggie, I hope that your stategy is successful; I know
    that I am starting to see results with mine. I like the
    idea of my books being in thousands of book stores,
    but not if they don't sell. I'd rather sell 10 apples
    in the market than 1 at three health food stores.

• Thanks, Daniel.

I hope everyone here succeeds. It would be wonderful to see all of us rising after so many years of hard work.

• Let me know In the event that Amazon has generous rivalry and individuals trust and will locate similar books somewhere else at a lower value?, Amazon too will bring down their dispersion take likt this information site  Online Essay Help.