Things That Go Bump

SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Today I had someone trying to be supportive about my writing, specifically understanding how frustrating it must be to only be able to write intermittently, after having put it on hold for two years. I kind of liked the reassurance about me getting some free time to just dive back in to write in four years, maybe, if I still have a working computer, if I haven't dropped dead or thrown the external drive into a fire.

Over twenty-four manuscripts in various stages of completion on hold at last count.

Some of the drafts in early stages are 20,000 to 50,000 words. Other drafts are around 100,000 words.

A rough total word count at roughly 1,000,000+ words (I stopped tallying when I had to put something in the oven).

I get the feeling people who don't write really don't understand diddly squat *&%$ about how frustrating having to keep putting work on hold gets.

And some folks wonder why I'm a bit taciturn.

Comments

• Impossible to focus on another world when this one hollers for attention 50 times a day. Words will wait.

In the meantime, how about a super cute Goodnight Moon type kiddie book?

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

At my age, letting the words wait another four years is the same as quitting entirely, which is what I'm seriously considering.

Em_Press wrote:

Impossible to focus on another world when this one hollers for attention 50 times a day. Words will wait.

In the meantime, how about a super cute Goodnight Moon type kiddie book?

• No way. Kernal Sanders started his venture at 65. No age limit to success.

• My thoughts are with you. 

I have been dealing with the same thing.

I used to write, and even be published, officially, in magazines, but that was all B.C.

(Before Children)

Now 20 years later, they are grown, moving out, and I have an easy boring job with lots of free time.....I've picked up the pen again and giving it all another try.

Hang in there & keep at it, if that is your true dream.

I'm rooting for you!

• Time is the most precious thing in the world, especially for a writer. I no longer post long replies in the forum, especially on matters of opinion. I don't think even super troll droll KL could goad me now. How do I use that extra time? Productively, that's how. I am selling  about a hundred times more than I once was. I do sympathise though; I often wish that I had a run of time - like six months, or so - all to myself.

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

There are many stories of success experienced by people of advanced years, and all I can say is good for them. I am, as my father used to say: 'the luckiest unlucky SOB he ever met'.

I should be getting off-duty around age 77 or 80. Due to genetics and the stress caused by not going over castle walls my heart should give out around age 77 or 80, if I'm lucky. I define stress as the mind completely overriding the body's instinctive urge to annihilate an enemy that truly deserves it.

Oh well, back to guiding young geniuses, lest they grow up to become not only intelligently efficient but effectively predatory as well.

Ciao for now.