Save a life (maybe)! Help me with photo formatting issue, please?

For the sake of the person/people who may be hurt when my computer goes out of the window, could anyone help me resolve an issue with photographs, please?

I'm producing a pocketbook-sized book. It's mainly text but includes a handful of photographs.

I've used the Lulu template/style guide in Word. I've made a few modifications - different-sized fonts for chapters, that sort of thing - but nothing major.

In Word the manuscript looks fine, but when it gets converted in Lulu, some of the pictures are either behind or in front of the text.

All the pictures are from the same source, all have been handled in the same way, most are around the same size. All have the same settings with regard to text wrapping and position, yet somehow, after the manuscript has been converted, some appear correctly, while others are merged with the text. I've tried changing the wordwrap and position settings and it seems to make no difference. This happens with both .doc and .docx files.

I'm used to uploading content onto websites, so I do have some knowledge about formatting stuff - hidden characters and instructions, that kind of thing - but if something like that is happening here, I can't work out what the issue is.

Can anyone help, please? I've spent several hours playing with the text and pictures and getting nowhere, so I am getting rather cross now.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Comments

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Did you copy / paste the images or insert them? Images need to be inserted.

it's also easier if you convert to PDF (embedding fonts helps) before you upload.

apsara wrote:

For the sake of the person/people who may be hurt when my computer goes out of the window, could anyone help me resolve an issue with photographs, please?

I'm producing a pocketbook-sized book. It's mainly text but includes a handful of photographs.

I've used the Lulu template/style guide in Word. I've made a few modifications - different-sized fonts for chapters, that sort of thing - but nothing major.

In Word the manuscript looks fine, but when it gets converted in Lulu, some of the pictures are either behind or in front of the text.

All the pictures are from the same source, all have been handled in the same way, most are around the same size. All have the same settings with regard to text wrapping and position, yet somehow, after the manuscript has been converted, some appear correctly, while others are merged with the text. I've tried changing the wordwrap and position settings and it seems to make no difference. This happens with both .doc and .docx files.

I'm used to uploading content onto websites, so I do have some knowledge about formatting stuff - hidden characters and instructions, that kind of thing - but if something like that is happening here, I can't work out what the issue is.

Can anyone help, please? I've spent several hours playing with the text and pictures and getting nowhere, so I am getting rather cross now.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

• All images are Inline with Text?

Attach a sample if you like (word doc).

• Hello (again),

Thanks to both responders for your suggestions.

In the end i decided to scrap the pictures - I went for a walk to clear my head and realised that the pain of placing them wasn't worth the gain of having them in the book.

That said, I also decided to scrap the version of the book "written" on the Lulu template and create my own from scratch, using the dimensions etc of the Lulu one. Maybe if I'd tried to include pictures in this "virgin" version, which contained only the formatting I knew I had put n there, the pics would have "stuck" but, tbh, I was sick of the sight of the pictures by then and wanted nothing more to do with them.

if I get time, I'll have a play, and create another, new, document and see what happens if I try including pictures. I'll update this post with the results if I do.

With regard to your questions, SphinxCameron, I had inserted the pictures from a file/files, not copied and pasted them; I did think about making a pdf but I don't have the facilities to make one from Word, and I couldn't face transferring everything to OpenOffice and making one through that, especially when I've had slight chages in formatting whren switching between the two in the past.

Em_Press, the pics were "in line with text" when I inserted them, butactually weren't - I had to centre them because they would be in the margin otherwise. I couldn;t see any formatting marks that would give any clue as to why this happened. It would make sense for things inserted "in line with text" to be in the middle of that test, but they weren't. I have no idea why.

Anyway, huge thanks to you both for coming to my aid. I'm sorry if i wasted your time by abandoning the pictures, it just seemed the best thing to do for the sake of my sanity!

I will report back if I do get round to trying my experiment.

Thanks again.

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Yeah, Word and OO Writer don't play well together.

As for making a PDF from word, if you don't have access to an old version of Distiller, try CutePDF.

Just remember that you need to embed font (first through the Word setting) then in the PDf creator when you're setting the printer parameters.

It's actually a lot easier to upload your own PDF as sometimes the Lulu converter hiccups on docs.

apsara wrote:

Hello (again),

Thanks to both responders for your suggestions.

In the end i decided to scrap the pictures - I went for a walk to clear my head and realised that the pain of placing them wasn't worth the gain of having them in the book.

That said, I also decided to scrap the version of the book "written" on the Lulu template and create my own from scratch, using the dimensions etc of the Lulu one. Maybe if I'd tried to include pictures in this "virgin" version, which contained only the formatting I knew I had put n there, the pics would have "stuck" but, tbh, I was sick of the sight of the pictures by then and wanted nothing more to do with them.

if I get time, I'll have a play, and create another, new, document and see what happens if I try including pictures. I'll update this post with the results if I do.

With regard to your questions, SphinxCameron, I had inserted the pictures from a file/files, not copied and pasted them; I did think about making a pdf but I don't have the facilities to make one from Word, and I couldn't face transferring everything to OpenOffice and making one through that, especially when I've had slight chages in formatting whren switching between the two in the past.

Em_Press, the pics were "in line with text" when I inserted them, butactually weren't - I had to centre them because they would be in the margin otherwise. I couldn;t see any formatting marks that would give any clue as to why this happened. It would make sense for things inserted "in line with text" to be in the middle of that test, but they weren't. I have no idea why.

Anyway, huge thanks to you both for coming to my aid. I'm sorry if i wasted your time by abandoning the pictures, it just seemed the best thing to do for the sake of my sanity!

I will report back if I do get round to trying my experiment.

Thanks again.

• I wound up having to do the same thing with my project as well - creating a new blank document with settings copied from the template and not using the template itself.

When I inserted pictures into my document, I always began with three blank lines where I wanted a picture, set the second of these lines to centered, and then inserted the picture at that point.

Another option you may want to look at is "printing" your document as a Postscript file and then converting that into a PDF for upload.