Questions about printing a illustrated book

Hi

Im creating a childrens illustrated book with my brother.

It is a square book, 8.5x8.5.

The illustrations he has created digitally are currently 132 dpi. Is this ok? Or must it be 300dpi? If he needs to change this what is the most pain free and least time consuming way of doing so?

Also, do the colours have to be cymk colours or if rgb is okay?

Is there anything else we need to think about in regards to printing colour illustrations, printing a childrens picture book etc?

Any advice, help appreciated!

Comments

• Also my brother has mentioned to me:
    I've currently made pages 2048px at 132dpi. I can create new ones at 300dpi and keep the pixel size at 2048px. If this okay I might not have to redraw. But if the pixel size is wrong too then I may need to.
    Advice?
  • Print books always have to be 300 dpi. Unless your brother has the original illustrations in a higher resolution and simply scaled then down to 132 there is no way to fix it. 132 dpi would look absolutely grotty in print.

An illustration which covers the whole page in an 8.5 x 8.5 book would need to be 2550 x 2550 pixels in dimension; this would deliver 300 dpi. If there was a one inch margin in the book all round then the dimensions would have to be 2250 x 2250 I am not sure why he is using 2048 pixels. That would give a page dimension of 6.83 inches.

• You don't need to redraw. Just rescan and save as 300 dpi, rgb, reinsert.

• This seems to be an appropriate forum thread for me to jump into. So here goes…

I'm typesetting a book (9"x6") for an author that will have photos—some of which are in color. Is it possible to print a book with both black & white and color photos? Or does it have to be one or the other: B&W or full color (including B&W photos)?

Also, I would like to upload the pages of the book as print-ready PDF files. Here are some questions I have:

> Would I need to provide the print files in PDF/X format?

> Will I need to impose the pages?

> The layout of internal pages doesn't have any design elements that go to the page eges. Do I still need to set bleed and crop marks?

> The book cover design goes right to page edges. So I'm assuming bleed and crop marks will be needed for the cover. I can provide the cover as a PDF/X file just as with the book's inside pages. Or should the cover be proved as a 300dpi JPG/TIF at the finished size?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. When it comes to books, I've worked with traditional offset printers in the past. This is my first experience with a POD service.

• See my responses below to specific questions.

For more info about creating a PDF for use in our system, you can refer to this article:

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Interior-Formatting/PDF-Creation-Settings-How-can-I-be-sure-my-PDF-will-print/ta-p/33681

lowellaguno wrote:

This seems to be an appropriate forum thread for me to jump into. So here goes…

I'm typesetting a book (9"x6") for an author that will have photos—some of which are in color. Is it possible to print a book with both black & white and color photos? Or does it have to be one or the other: B&W or full color (including B&W photos)?

Full color printing is required for any book with any color images. Our system does not currently have the capability to pick specific pages for color printing.

Also, I would like to upload the pages of the book as print-ready PDF files. Here are some questions I have:

> Would I need to provide the print files in PDF/X format?

Just PDF is fine. Make sure the version is set to 1.3.

> Will I need to impose the pages?

I've never seen this as a requirement for our PDFs so I don't believe you need to impose the pages. We do recommend flattening transparencies and embedding fonts before you upload.

> The layout of internal pages doesn't have any design elements that go to the page eges. Do I still need to set bleed and crop marks?

We'll apply bleed margins as white space on the page if you create a file at exactly the book's page size. Don't include any marks (for bleed or crop). Be sure to review the print ready file we generate as well.

> The book cover design goes right to page edges. So I'm assuming bleed and crop marks will be needed for the cover. I can provide the cover as a PDF/X file just as with the book's inside pages. Or should the cover be proved as a 300dpi JPG/TIF at the finished size?

If you created your own one-piece cover, you can upload as a PDF or JPG (or PNG). You'll see the exact size/specs on the cover step. Allow for bleed, as the dimensions we provide for the cover will include that margin. You'll see a bleed preview as a green bar on the cover preview image (post upload).

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. When it comes to books, I've worked with traditional offset printers in the past. This is my first experience with a POD service.