LCCN

I am ready to make the print ready file but I still do not have the LCCN for the copy right page.

How do I find out the LCCN associated with the ISBN number that Lulu got for me?

 

Will appreciate any one one's help.

 

Thank you in advance

 

Albert

Comments

  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    You get that from the Library of Congress.


    afchang wrote:

    I am ready to make the print ready file but I still do not have the LCCN for the copy right page.

    How do I find out the LCCN associated with the ISBN number that Lulu got for me?

     

    Will appreciate any one one's help.

     

    Thank you in advance

     

    Albert


     

  • Thank you Mr. Cameron.

     

    I guess if I have the right book title when I get it from the Libaray of Congres, it will automatically be associated with the ISBN I am using which was given to me by Lulu, Correct?

     

    Albert

  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    You have to go to the LOC website and provide the LOC with information like title, author's name, ISBN and so on, so it's not actually an automatic process.

     

    If you created an account to apply for your copyright at the LOC website, I believe you can use that account to apply for your LCCN.


    afchang wrote:

    Thank you Mr. Cameron.

     

    I guess if I have the right book title when I get it from the Libaray of Congres, it will automatically be associated with the ISBN I am using which was given to me by Lulu, Correct?

     

    Albert


     

  • I am still confused. Because the ISBN I am using is given to me by Lulu, it seems Lulu is the owner of the ISBN and the the LCCN associated with it should be gotten by Lulu, not me.

  • Em_PressEm_Press ✭✭

    It's optional. You don't need to have one.

     

    The ISBN only is mandatory for distribution.

  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    Lulu provided you with the ISBN but once all the info was entered (i.e.: title, author name, copyright year, and so on) the ISBN is nominally yours, as in it can't be reused for someone else's book.

     

    Even though Lulu will be listed as publisher (since it buys blocks of ISBNs) when your book shows up on Amazon, B&N, and so on, you are the actual publisher, meaning it's up to you to get the LCCN or other identifying numbers or not.

     

    The LCCN is used by the LOC internally while the Cataloging In Publication Number is distributed by the LOC to libraries, book dealers, and bibliographic networks.

     

    Applying for those numbers is your responsibility as the book's publisher.


    afchang wrote:

    I am still confused. Because the ISBN I am using is given to me by Lulu, it seems Lulu is the owner of the ISBN and the the LCCN associated with it should be gotten by Lulu, not me.


     

  • Thank you very much.

     

    That cleared my confusion.

     

    Albert

  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

    Not a problem, providing the answer was more pleasant than changing the diaper earlier.


    afchang wrote:

    Thank you very much.

     

    That cleared my confusion.

     

    Albert


     

Sign In or Register to comment.