PAGE NUMBERS and TYPING in COLUMNS

As I am typing(cutting and pasting actually) on the Lulu template provided, I began on the R side.  This is the 1st page with text.   As per the videos, the odd pages are on the R, however my first page with text which is on the R is numbered 2.  How do I fix before uploading?

In addition, this is a book of poetry and I have chosen to print some poems in 2 colums on a page.  The columns change the page numbers.  The pages will read 7, 8, 2,3.  The 2 and 3 are where the columns are and I already have pages 2 and 3.  All suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

Comments

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

As far as I recall, the templates are more reference on how to set the page format for your book.

As for the numbering being off, do you have a title page and front matter like a copyright page?

It sounds like you need a section break on the last even page at the end of your front matter.

As for a page having two columns on one page each counted as a different page, it sounds like something is off in the page formatting.

S_DOT wrote:

As I am typing(cutting and pasting actually) on the Lulu template provided, I began on the R side.  This is the 1st page with text.   As per the videos, the odd pages are on the R, however my first page with text which is on the R is numbered 2.  How do I fix before uploading?

In addition, this is a book of poetry and I have chosen to print some poems in 2 colums on a page.  The columns change the page numbers.  The pages will read 7, 8, 2,3.  The 2 and 3 are where the columns are and I already have pages 2 and 3.  All suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

• Thanks, for the reply!  I didn't do the title/copyright page.  I simply skipped a page and started the first poem on the right.  I will paly around with the formatting a little more.  I will try the section break, I only focused on the oage break.  Thanks...I thought this would be easy, breezy, lol!

Easy enough in a tedious step-by-step way, and after some practice easy-breezy.

Section breaks allow you to start numbering at a particular point, as in after the front matter. If you have chapters it allows for a different first page in the chapter.

You can also switch from lower case Roman numerals used after the copyright page for things like a Preface to regular numbering used on the actual pages.

Formatting the pages isn't so hard though it is an exacting process. Unfortunately different word processing programs all do it a bit differently.

S_DOT wrote:

Thanks, for the reply!  I didn't do the title/copyright page.  I simply skipped a page and started the first poem on the right.  I will paly around with the formatting a little more.  I will try the section break, I only focused on the oage break.  Thanks...I thought this would be easy, breezy, lol!

• As mentioned by SphinxCameron if you make the very first page on the template the title, then it won't have a number and then the second page which is copyright page will be numered two. That is my experience anyway. By the way which template did you get? If you download the one that it gives a link too in the Create a book section, you'll get a zipfile. It contains two templates and one has text showing in each area what to type such as Title, copyright, etc. The other one is blank but formatted the same.

What you mentioned is part of why I set up my own doc (Word 97).

Section break at the end of the front matter that doesn't need page numbers.

In the new section, check headers and footers. If there is a setting for "Same As Previous Section" set it to off.

In the previous section check for page numbers and delete them on both first page, odd page, and even page.

Go back to the new section where you need page numbers.

In the footer you should be able to start you page numbers, and the format box will have continue from previous section or start with page number where you use the number to indicate 1 if that's what you need. If you need i, ii, iii, then at the end do another section break, turn same as previous off, then format the page numbers to start with 1.

You should be able to do something similar with OO or LO Writer even if it isn't done in exactly the same way.

TheJesusNinja wrote:

As mentioned by SphinxCameron if you make the very first page on the template the title, then it won't have a number and then the second page which is copyright page will be numered two. That is my experience anyway. By the way which template did you get? If you download the one that it gives a link too in the Create a book section, you'll get a zipfile. It contains two templates and one has text showing in each area what to type such as Title, copyright, etc. The other one is blank but formatted the same.

• I'm guessing you're viewing the document in two page view. This can be misleading, as it is not the way a book is laid out. The first file page (not the one on the right when viewing the document in Word's two page view) will be on the right side of the book. In Word's two page view the first page will be on the left.

It pays to use single page view.