Revenue Error for AU sales?

Is this an error in reporting revenue or cost for books printed for AU many times higher than everyplace else? This book has revenue of over $4 per book but printed in AU I only got $0.62

From Lulu “My Revenue” page this month (June):

Book: “Dr. Richard Jordan Gatling's GATLING GUN PATENT DRAWINGS” (ISBN 9780557059553); channel “Ingram (Print)” for the following; Revenue “US” 4.04 per book, “GB” $4.59 per book, “AU” $0.62 per book.

I read that cost for AU would be going up in June 2017 but this looks like a major Lulu computer error, not the cost increase I read about - OR is there something else going on that I do not understand?

Thanks for any info about this

Ron Ruble

Comments

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

I've actually been looking for a book on the Gatling Gun due to a story that's waiting to be finished.

I bookmarked the page, and thank you.

• I would contact support if you think there is an error. They might be more equipped to help you.
  • I second TheJesusNjnja's suggestion. I'm not sure why such a difference in revenue would appear for AU, but our support team should be able to get to the bottom of it.
  • This is Lulu's supports answer (via email) - Totally unacceptable to me

"Hi Ron,

I hope you are well today. My name is Jake and I'll be happy to assist you.

When a customer purchases your books in a different country store than the store in which you created your book, the purchase price is calculated based on the production cost of the printing facility closest to the mailing address for the order. Currency conversion and fluctuation must also be considered; therefore, revenue earned for a book purchased in different stores can vary.

For example, prices in the Canadian store are calculated based on our Canadian printer's manufacturing costs, which are slightly higher than our US printer's production cost. We are always working with our printers to lower costs.

Thank you for choosing Lulu, and have a great day!

Kind regards,

Jake G.
    Lulu Press, Inc. "

This looks to be a cut and paste standard answer they gave me. I do not think they looked into the problem. There is no way prodution cost of a 110 page black & white print book could be over $4 higher in AU.

How do I get Lulu support to look into the problem?

Ron Ruble

• I filled a 2nd support request for this problem: There is no way production cost of a 110 page black & white print perfect bound book could be $4 higher in AU than everyplace else in the world. I got this answer back. When I get an update from Lulu I will post it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello Ron,
    Thank you for contacting Lulu Support. My name is Gilda and I'll be happy to assist you today.

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention once again. I apologize for any inconvenience. Please note I have sent your request to our IT Department, since it seems like there is an issue on our end. I will keep you posted on our findings.

I appreciate your patience. Thank you for choosing Lulu, and have a great day!

Best regards,
    Gilda C.
    Lulu Press, Inc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• No answer yet but more BIGGER problems:

My “Spotlight’ page – currency was changed from US dollars to AU (?) dollars – price of two book greatly reduced – NOT by me. I think this has happened after I filed a 2nd support request about original problem, not sure.

Ref Note: Gas Mask book upper left in photo is priced at $39.50 US - it  now shows up on page as $54.45. The Gatling Gun book should be priced at $19.50 US and the armour book at $27.50 US

• HELP - Lulu support has now changed all the prices of my books to AU which traslate to 21% reduction of the origianl price in US dollars.

My newest book was $39.50 US is now listed as $39.50 AU. currency rate is .79 us dollare to one AU dollar - or put it in another way - Lulu just lowered the price of my books by 21%

Lulu's support is not working.................. HELP - someone at Lulu please HELP

Is your store on your computer set to US? I checked your spotlight and saw different prices, and nothing indicating it was listed in Aussie dollars.

Screenshot from 2017-08-09 13-48-47.png

ruble wrote:

HELP - Lulu support has now changed all the prices of my books to AU which traslate to 21% reduction of the origianl price in US dollars.

My newest book was $39.50 US is now listed as $39.50 AU. currency rate is .79 us dollare to one AU dollar - or put it in another way - Lulu just lowered the price of my books by 21%

Lulu's support is not working.................. HELP - someone at Lulu please HELP

Try messaging a forum mod.

• Note gas mask book price should be $39.50 US not what is now listed. Lulu changed my book prices without my permission.

They (Lulu) keeps keeps changing it. I was US but they changed it to AU. I also got emails that they (Lulu) made price change and sent it through globalREACH distribution - as if these are new books. example copy of email of book released over 8 years ago. Note - price change voilates ISBN rules - price no longer the same as listed on back of books.

Dear Ron,

Thank you for approving your book "ARMS & ARMOUR of Archduke Eugen, 1927 Auction Catalog" (Project ID: 686986) for globalREACH distribution!

We have begun the process of submitting your book for distribution. Your title will be listed in major bibliographic databases and should become available on retail sites within 6-8 weeks. If your book is eligible for all retailers, you will find it on Amazon.com, Barnesandnoble.com, and a number of other online retailers worldwide who purchase through the Ingram Book Company.

• Just to note, we actually can't change an authors pricing without direct permission from the author. Even then, we generally would instruct the author on how to do so, and not actually make the change ourselves.

The changes in the pricing you see are likely a result of the country store location being changed.

For example, your books price will display in your preferred method on your page, but if a user in Canada looks up the book, they'll see the price in CAD.

That said, I've seen issues with an author changing their own store and the pricing not displaying correctly for them. I do see you've got an active ticket with support, so that will be the best way to get help resolving this issue.

Again, why not PM a forum moderator directly to discuss the issue? Forum end-users can't fix a problem.

For that matter, what's preventing you from going into your different projects and setting your prices back to what you want them to be? All you have to do is set your country flag, then visit your projects, then set your prices.

ruble wrote:

Note gas mask book price should be $39.50 US not what is now listed. Lulu changed my book prices without my permission.

They (Lulu) keeps keeps changing it. I was US but they changed it to AU. I also got emails that they (Lulu) made price change and sent it through globalREACH distribution - as if these are new books. example copy of email of book released over 8 years ago. Note - price change voilates ISBN rules - price no longer the same as listed on back of books.

Dear Ron,

Thank you for approving your book "ARMS & ARMOUR of Archduke Eugen, 1927 Auction Catalog" (Project ID: 686986) for globalREACH distribution!

We have begun the process of submitting your book for distribution. Your title will be listed in major bibliographic databases and should become available on retail sites within 6-8 weeks. If your book is eligible for all retailers, you will find it on Amazon.com, Barnesandnoble.com, and a number of other online retailers worldwide who purchase through the Ingram Book Company.

• Lulu DID make the price change through GlobalREACH - I did not make any changes!

I will post all the emails if you need proof

The incorrect price was on my Lulu Spotlight page, an internal problem at Lulu but price per ISBN (globalreach distribution) was correct. Instead of fixing the Lulu error on the Spot light page, support released price change for each of my books through globalREACH distribution resulting in approximate 21% reduction in price (now violates ISBN rules that list price and price printed on book must be the same). One book (released in 2009), I was making $3.50 to $4.10 per book is now 0.62 cents per book; others are as bad if not worst.

The original problem started because I filled a support request; revenue of book sold in AU was 0.62 cents US and should be more approximately $3.50 US. This was an internal Lulu computer error. If I had not contacted Lulu’s support about this I would have only lost a few dollars but because of the price change support made to all my books, I will lose much more. Per outside sources (not Lulu), I may need to retire all my current versions of my books and republish and release 2nd editions for each one of them with new ISBN numbers. This will cost me hundreds of dollars in publishing cost and loss of revenue from 2 books that has been on the market for years..

• Paul_Lulu Sorry but you are wrong: "Just to note, we actually can't change an authors pricing without direct permission from the author. Even then, we generally would instruct the author on how to do so, and not actually make the change ourselves."

They DID make changes to prices

Attached is pic’s of emails – Change by Lulu to prices of book- emails times were 7:17AM, 7:10AM and 7:20AM and time of email about making change 7:27AM.

NOTE: I have more than 100 emails this morning, many from / about this Lulu problem - I have not read them yet

• The shot you have attached indicates that the display of the pricing was coming up wrong. As I mentioned this can happen when switching between different stores.

That does not indicate that an employee has manipulated the price listed. Only that the currency displayed has been updated to match your request.

I am glad we were able to get the root of the problem and get the display listing updated for you though!

On only slightly related note, I would advise not listing the price on the cover. That's a standard piece of advice for self-published authors, as retailers are within their rights to set a different price, so the price printed on the cover may be inaccurate simply because of a retailers decisions.