Why did you choose Lulu over other POD providers?

I hope this is not an inappropriate question to ask, but in working through the process of choosing who to use to self-publish our novel, my friend and I have become curious about why, specifically, people chose Lulu over any of the others.

We want our print book to be 6x9 hardcover with a dust jacket, so we can't go with Creative Space since they only do softcover books.

At this point we are comparing Ingram Spark, Lulu and Blurb -- just comparing 3 companies is a gigantic job! So we're hoping to get some thoughts from Lulu users.

Thanks!

Comments

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

I was looking at Lulu (among others) back around 2005 or 2006. At that point in time it was pick one of several vanity publishers or pick a company which would enable me to actually get my work out into the real world. I then had to put my writing (or at least the publishing aspect) on hold.

Roughly four years ago I was back in a position to self-publish. I looked at Lulu again, as well as a few other options, and decided to go with Lulu due to flexibility and ISBN availability. I can do Trade, Hard Cover Trade, 'pocket books', and Epub. [I set up with KDP to do Kindles because at that time Lulu and Amazon didn't have an agreement for Epub to Kindle.]

Each venue has it's merits just as each has aspects that don't quite for or may not be quite as nice as elsewhere, but this one works for me as the best working compromise between price, flexibility, and distribution.

Hope this perspective helps.

Partridge wrote:

I hope this is not an inappropriate question to ask, but in working through the process of choosing who to use to self-publish our novel, my friend and I have become curious about why, specifically, people chose Lulu over any of the others.

We want our print book to be 6x9 hardcover with a dust jacket, so we can't go with Creative Space since they only do softcover books.

At this point we are comparing Ingram Spark, Lulu and Blurb -- just comparing 3 companies is a gigantic job! So we're hoping to get some thoughts from Lulu users.

Thanks!

• I was looking at Createspace at first. But a friend was publishing with Lulu and showed me his book. I was impressed and checked it out. Lulu also pays by Paypal if you wish. Createspace does not that I know of. Of course we have the hardbacks as you said. I have made one and really liked the quality. The choice with Paypal is really what swayed my choice. But to add to that is the distribution. It used to cost $75 for this option. Now lulu offers it for free. It really increases your chance for sales. I'm very happy with the support here. All of my original fears I had in the beginning were explained away and I later understood how everything worked. It's a great opportunity for writers starting out to get their book out. Our forum is great. Many people come here everyday and answer questions and offer help. Although I've never gone with any other publisher I'd have to say I'm very happy here and have met some very nice and helpful writers. The biggest thing is that it's free! One only need to buy one copy of your book pretty much at cost. Lulu does offer services if you wish but it is never forced on you.

• Em_PressEm_Press ✭✭

Much better distribution. Plus they have hardcover, which is all the rage nowadays.

• I chose Lulu because they offer the simplest, cheapest path to publication, and I've been impressed by the quality of their work.
  • Hello,

I couldn't find any satisfactory POD publisher in France, although we have several. I tried a Flemish one In Belgium, but they gave no ISBN, and didn't link up with distribution networks; besides their cover options were quite limited, and it was impossible to add a blurb.

I then bought a Lulu book to test the technical quality of their products. It was professional. I tried Lulu with a didactic book, Numbers and Units in Old Tagalog. The result was stunning. I eventually learned more, and made another edition with an elaborate cover. Since I have published a score books, some private and reserved for my family - all satisfactory.

• Thank you all so much!
  • Left Lulu for Ingram Spark and never looked back. Ingram Spark allows authors to control their discount and return policy which Lulu doesn't and which bookstores require before they'll even consider stocking your book on their shelves. Plus I can get my book(s) advertised in Ingram's Advance catalog which is sent out to bookstores all over the world which you can't do through Lulu.

Like I said, left and never looked back.

Dee
  • SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Perhaps Lulu and Ingram can reach an agreement where Lulu authors can do something similar.

***Edit added at 19:32 CDT***

Just to jog my memory I took a quick tour over at Ingram Spark. Apart from the $49 set up fee per book, there are the $2 per copy handling costs associated with the return policy. Then there's the minimum 55% discount off cover price.

While I have to wait a bit longer to carry through, I did stop at a small brick and mortar and asked about the possibility of leaving a few copies on consignment. I also mentioned I had done publisher grade versions with a direct access link so they could order more if there was enough interest shown. They were interested and asked me to return when I had a few copies in hand.

It kind of boils down to what you can afford to pay starting up versus what you hope to accomplish.

deemonie wrote:
    Left Lulu for Ingram Spark and never looked back. Ingram Spark allows authors to control their discount and return policy which Lulu doesn't and which bookstores require before they'll even consider stocking your book on their shelves. Plus I can get my book(s) advertised in Ingram's Advance catalog which is sent out to bookstores all over the world which you can't do through Lulu.

Like I said, left and never looked back.

Dee

• Em_PressEm_Press ✭✭

Ingram Spark charges fees for every little thing. They also have ink restrictions for cover and interior. The black is faded and looks like grey. It's exhausting making a cover for them. I would never ever use them.

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

Sankari_Suomi wrote:
    I chose Lulu because they offer the simplest, cheapest path to publication, and I've been impressed by the quality of their work.

What he said. ^^^

Also, the threshold for royalties is lower.