Embedding fonts help, please

I am trying to upload a pdf file for print publication. It began as 18 separate MS Word files, saved individually as pdfs, then combined into 1 pdf in Adobe Acrobat.

I keep getting an error message re: embedded fonts. It reads "Your document could not be created: The ACaslonPro-Regular font is not embedded."

I have gone through the instructions on Lulu.com to embed the fonts using Lulu.joboptions (Adobe Distiller).

The instructions read: "To determine if your PDF already has the fonts embedded, you can review the properties in Adobe Acrobat or Reader." I checked this using Adobe Reader, and saw that all of the fonts in the document are indeed embedded.

I should note, however, it lists the following:

ACaslonPro-Regular (Embedded OpenType) x1

ACaslonPro-Regular (Embedded Subset) x17 (seventeen times!)

Could this be problematic? How do I address this?

What can I do to embed these fonts properly and avoid getting an error message?

Thanks in advance,

AJ

Comments

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Depending on the flavor of Word you're using, you can embed the fonts there first.

When you print or distill to PDF, check to make certain they will be embedded again.

The reality is though, it would be easier to have one doc with all the separate files in it, embed the fonts in that file, then print or distill to PDF.

Odds are there's something missing in one of the separate files that's throwing the process off.

Rabbit_Planet wrote:

I am trying to upload a pdf file for print publication. It began as 18 separate MS Word files, saved individually as pdfs, then combined into 1 pdf in Adobe Acrobat.

I keep getting an error message re: embedded fonts. It reads "Your document could not be created: The ACaslonPro-Regular font is not embedded."

I have gone through the instructions on Lulu.com to embed the fonts using Lulu.joboptions (Adobe Distiller).

The instructions read: "To determine if your PDF already has the fonts embedded, you can review the properties in Adobe Acrobat or Reader." I checked this using Adobe Reader, and saw that all of the fonts in the document are indeed embedded.

I should note, however, it lists the following:

ACaslonPro-Regular (Embedded OpenType) x1

ACaslonPro-Regular (Embedded Subset) x17 (seventeen times!)

Could this be problematic? How do I address this?

What can I do to embed these fonts properly and avoid getting an error message?

Thanks in advance,

AJ

• I would suggest that you try doPDF (its free and easy to use; just Google doPDF).

Tick the Embed Fonts box when you create your PDF and you are good to go.

I must say that I get very confused as to why people uplift more than one file to Lulu.

I would write my book in Word, for example, and when I have edited it and am ready

to publish that is when I would create a PDF which I would upload to Lulu.

• Thank you for your reponse, danielblue,

I checked out doPdf but it does not seem to be available for Mac OS.

Regarding 'why people uplift more than one file to Lulu': that's what I did. I tried to uplift one file only, which was written in Word with the PDF created after.

• Thanks, SphinxCameron. Combining the MS Word files into one is not really an option at this point due to time restrictions and all the additional proofing/formatting it would require. The plan is to upload the manuscript today...  I will see about embedding in MS Word before distilling to PDF.

Thanks again

• Hello,

Embedding is automatically done when you convert your wordprocessor file into the PDF format. Once your PDF file is done, you've got to check whether all its fonts are embedded. If a font is not embedded, it probably can't; so remplace it by another one in the original file, and go through the whole cycle again.

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

When working with certain flavors of Word, there is the option to embed fonts before converting to PDF, which makes those fonts available for the converter.

Converting from Word isn't quite as straightforward as from Word Perfect.

potetjp wrote:

Hello,

Embedding is automatically done when you convert your wordprocessor file into the PDF format. Once your PDF file is done, you've got to check whether all its fonts are embedded. If a font is not embedded, it probably can't; so remplace it by another one in the original file, and go through the whole cycle again.