legal question

hello all . im new the the forum . my name is jim . i have a question about names in my book . is it ok to publish the names of people in the book ? i have an advice book where people are leaving advice for each other and its completely random . i never know what they are going to write ! some leave first names, some leave last names , some leave email adress , some leave phone numbers. ? my question is can they come back at me for publishing even though i explaine that the whatever they write will be published ?see image for an example ....

thanks for reading  this .  jim 

Comments

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Unless you can get people to sign a release, odds are you're better off making anonymity the rule.

People can get funny and will sue over just about anything.

jvogel wrote:

hello all . im new the the forum . my name is jim . i have a question about names in my book . is it ok to publish the names of people in the book ? i have an advice book where people are leaving advice for each other and its completely random . i never know what they are going to write ! some leave first names, some leave last names , some leave email adress , some leave phone numbers. ? my question is can they come back at me for publishing even though i explaine that the whatever they write will be published ?see image for an example ....

• SphinxCameron wrote:

Unless you can get people to sign a release, odds are you're better off making anonymity the rule.

People can get funny and will sue over just about anything.

jvogel wrote:

I'm not an attorney, so I can only speak from my past experiences in publishing. But I would stronly suggest that you do not publish anything by another person without obtaining their explicit permssion. And I would absolutely not publish such personal information as email addresses or (especially!) phone numbers.

You may "explain" your intentions but that is not the same thing as assuming you have someone's permission .

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

I agree with what's already been said. Get releases or don't do it.