Is a Color cover included in the price estimate for a B&W interior book?

Hi everyone,

Brand new here. I did search the FAQ section for this but did not see a thread title which looked relevant.

I'm an illustrator, collaborating with an author on a coloring book for children. We are considering self-publishing through Lulu, and I've done research on best approaches. Looking for a per unit cost estimate for our book, printing on demand through Lulu.

I used the book cost estimator (http://www.lulu.com/create/books)

and input these specs as relevant to our project:  

Premium Paperback >> US Letter (8.5x11in) >> Saddle Stitch Paperback >> 36 pages

and received this info:  

Product Line: Premium Paperback

Binding: Saddle Stitch Paperback

Product Size: US Letter

Interior Color: Black & White

Paper Quality: 70#

Cover Finish: Gloss

Shipping Origin: Global

The manuf. cost per 36 page book comes to $4.08

It says we'll get a gloss cover, but I don't see any confirmation that we can have that cover in color.

We do want to COVER ONLY in color, the interior will be all black and white (on white paper).

I don't see any buttons or options on the cost estimator to select B&W interior with Color Cover.

Can someone please tell me if this estimate does in fact include a full color cover, and / or let me know how I can find out how to include this in the estimate?

Do I need to message / email Lulu directly?

Thank you in advance —

Comments

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

The cover is in color if the image you upload for the cover is in color.

Check my Author Spotlight and look at the print covers, that is what people get when they order.

PomegranateSeed wrote:

Hi everyone,

Brand new here. I did search the FAQ section for this but did not see a thread title which looked relevant.

I'm an illustrator, collaborating with an author on a coloring book for children. We are considering self-publishing through Lulu, and I've done research on best approaches. Looking for a per unit cost estimate for our book, printing on demand through Lulu.

I used the book cost estimator (http://www.lulu.com/create/books)

and input these specs as relevant to our project:  

Premium Paperback >> US Letter (8.5x11in) >> Saddle Stitch Paperback >> 36 pages

and received this info:  

Product Line: Premium Paperback

Binding: Saddle Stitch Paperback

Product Size: US Letter

Interior Color: Black & White

Paper Quality: 70#

Cover Finish: Gloss

Shipping Origin: Global

The manuf. cost per 36 page book comes to $4.08

It says we'll get a gloss cover, but I don't see any confirmation that we can have that cover in color.

We do want to COVER ONLY in color, the interior will be all black and white (on white paper).

I don't see any buttons or options on the cost estimator to select B&W interior with Color Cover.

Can someone please tell me if this estimate does in fact include a full color cover, and / or let me know how I can find out how to include this in the estimate?

Do I need to message / email Lulu directly?

Thank you in advance —

• Thanks very much! The covers in your Spotlight look quite good to me (the color quality — the stories and art look quite compelling too). Glad to make your acquaintance, and thank you again —  

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

I've ordered proofs of my work before and the covers do tend to match what was uploaded.

And not a problem, we were all new once upon a time...