commercial publishing

I could not find an answer to this question in the Knowledge base.  Can i send my book to a regular commercial publisher even though it has already been self-published on Lulu?

Comments

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Do you mean have a commercial printer print off X numbers of copies or do you mean negotiate a contract with a Traditional Publisher?

canal65 wrote:

I could not find an answer to this question in the Knowledge base.  Can i send my book to a regular commercial publisher even though it has already been self-published on Lulu?

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

The short answer is "Yes."

Lulu does not own your work. You do. You can submit your work to a traditional publisher, such as Houghton-Mifflin, Little Brown, Crown -- just to name three off the top of my head -- and they could legally make an arrangement with you to publish your book(s) the traditional way.

BUT ...

1.) A traditional publisher typically wants new and unpublished works, especially from a new writer; and

2.) A traditional publisher will not want to compete against another channel, so they would expect you to retire any books then in print through another source (such as Lulu).

SOME self-published writers have gone on to have their self-published books published by a traditional house -- Andy Weir's The Martian for example, or Sixty-three shades of Indigo (or whatever it was called) -- but this is NOT the norm. In fact, it so far outside the norm that it is rare and noteworhty, which is why I have those two examples at my fingertips.

I am currently working on a book that I may present to a traditional publisher FIRST, and then publish myself if it is rejected. That would be a more traditional route. I've also entered a short story into a contest that I hope may give me a lever for that project. But if I were to self-publish it first, then I would ahve pretty much closed the door on traditional publishing for that book.

I hope that this clarifies the issue for you.

(I do not represent Lulu, traditional publishers, or anyone except myself)

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

SphinxCameron wrote:

Do you mean have a commercial printer print off X numbers of copies or do you mean negotiate a contract with a Traditional Publisher?

canal65 wrote:

If he just wanted X number of copies, he'd be best off doing a special print run through Lulu, imho, with the bulk rate printing discounts and the creator discounts.