We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

commercial publishing

I could not find an answer to this question in the Knowledge base.  Can i send my book to a regular commercial publisher even though it has already been self-published on Lulu?

Comments

• Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian

Do you mean have a commercial printer print off X numbers of copies or do you mean negotiate a contract with a Traditional Publisher?

canal65 wrote:

I could not find an answer to this question in the Knowledge base.  Can i send my book to a regular commercial publisher even though it has already been self-published on Lulu?

• The short answer is "Yes."

Lulu does not own your work. You do. You can submit your work to a traditional publisher, such as Houghton-Mifflin, Little Brown, Crown -- just to name three off the top of my head -- and they could legally make an arrangement with you to publish your book(s) the traditional way.

BUT ...

1.) A traditional publisher typically wants new and unpublished works, especially from a new writer; and

2.) A traditional publisher will not want to compete against another channel, so they would expect you to retire any books then in print through another source (such as Lulu).

SOME self-published writers have gone on to have their self-published books published by a traditional house -- Andy Weir's The Martian for example, or Sixty-three shades of Indigo (or whatever it was called) -- but this is NOT the norm. In fact, it so far outside the norm that it is rare and noteworhty, which is why I have those two examples at my fingertips.

I am currently working on a book that I may present to a traditional publisher FIRST, and then publish myself if it is rejected. That would be a more traditional route. I've also entered a short story into a contest that I hope may give me a lever for that project. But if I were to self-publish it first, then I would ahve pretty much closed the door on traditional publishing for that book.

I hope that this clarifies the issue for you.

(I do not represent Lulu, traditional publishers, or anyone except myself)

• SphinxCameron wrote:

Do you mean have a commercial printer print off X numbers of copies or do you mean negotiate a contract with a Traditional Publisher?

canal65 wrote:

If he just wanted X number of copies, he'd be best off doing a special print run through Lulu, imho, with the bulk rate printing discounts and the creator discounts.