HELP? Cover not showing and headings squashed to the right!

Hi all! I need help and thought maybe this would be faster as I wait for lulu to respond. I finally got my title accepted and the book coversion looks great, EXCEPT-my cover photo does not show in the file-it shows up as a basic gray cover, AND all, and I mean ALL of my headings are squashed together to the right of every page! Plus my photos are TINY.  Suggestions?

I appreciate any and all advice.  THANK YOU!
Sherri

Comments

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Question, what kind of device are you using to view your file with?

It looks like you were using something small and hand-held.

SherriOh wrote:

Hi all! I need help and thought maybe this would be faster as I wait for lulu to respond. I finally got my title accepted and the book coversion looks great, EXCEPT-my cover photo does not show in the file-it shows up as a basic gray cover, AND all, and I mean ALL of my headings are squashed together to the right of every page! Plus my photos are TINY.  Suggestions?

I appreciate any and all advice.  THANK YOU!
    Sherri

• YES! I am reading on my iphone 6. That is where I read all my e-books! My book is the only one with this problem.

Huh, not sure how large an Iphone6 is.

Try downloading the book to a computer with Calibre loaded on it.

• Thanks but you are mis-understanding.  I wrote a book, I am publishing it as an e-book, and the formatting is all messed up! But thanks for trying to help Smiley Happy

Actually I did get it. I've also written a few books and gone through print and Epub/Kindle publishing myself.

My point is, without seeing the source doc, all anyone can say is trying viewing on a computer using a Kindle/Ereader emulator.

Since Epub is supposed to flow, obviously the problem lies in the formatting, or the size of the original cover file, but people kind of need to see the source to diagnose the issue(s).

SherriOh wrote:

Thanks but you are mis-understanding.  I wrote a book, I am publishing it as an e-book, and the formatting is all messed up! But thanks for trying to help Smiley Happy

• I have looked at it in Calibre, but even if I fix the epub file on this end I cannot upload that to LULU so the distribution file would still be corrupt. I need to know if there is something I can change in my .doc file in order to fix the problem before conversion. Also, my cover photo is perfect and shows in the project on lulu-just not in the epub file. I can't imagine that I would be the only one who has had these issues with conversion. Hoping someone has the answers!

There are several regulars who could help you with the formatting, but they would need to see the doc in its preconversion state.

I would imagine someone does have the answers. I don't because my crystal ball is in the shop for maintenance and the repair technician is out on sick leave.

Check with EmPress.

SherriOh wrote:

I have looked at it in Calibre, but even if I fix the epub file on this end I cannot upload that to LULU so the distribution file would still be corrupt. I need to know if there is something I can change in my .doc file in order to fix the problem before conversion. Also, my cover photo is perfect and shows in the project on lulu-just not in the epub file. I can't imagine that I would be the only one who has had these issues with conversion. Hoping someone has the answers!

• SherriOh

You say your cover is perfect and shows in the lulu project but not in the epub file. Epub covers are separate from the content file. If you embed a cover picture into your source file that will not show up as a cover in the epub. You need to upload a jpg image file at a minimum of 612 x 792 pixels and then, during the epub creation process, select Use A Different file for the cover and upload your image file to Lulu. The picture and the text will then be married together.

The fact that your headings are displaying the way they are suggests that there is something in the heading style causing them to do so. Have you checked that there is nothing in your heading style causing these line breaks?

• Em_PressEm_Press ✭✭

Hi Sherri,

Your Heading 1 (which is probably assigned to your chapter headings and should be) has a left indent. Remove it. There is no room on the small screen for such formatting. Just center it and use manual line breaks to break up the words instead.

Good luck.

• Em_PressEm_Press ✭✭

Regarding the cover, it will be added by retailers at later stages.

However, if you absolutely want it in  now, you can download Sigil, and add it manually. This will result in several instances of your cover, but many people prefer it.

• The heading styles look to me like justification/indent (as EM_Press said). The best thing to do is set all styles to either left or center.

The cover you sent an image of is the generic one from our tool. As others have said, if you want to use your own cover, you'll have to upload it on the cover step.

Also, just to note, you can upload an epub file if you've got a corrected version from Calibre. I don't generally advice this because there are a whole different set of possible problems you might run into, but it can be done and may be worth trying if you've got an epub with the corrected material.
  • YES, sorry, that is what I mean. The cover is not embedded in the file, it is uploaded to lulu via their specifications! I see it in the project file within lulu. I will go back and check to see that the "use a different cover box is checked! THANK YOUUUUU!
  • Hmmm, I have everything set LEFT in my open office odt file but I wonder if there is a hidden indent set somewhere? It does not show an indent as I see it in my original file but I will dig around and see if I find it behind the scenes! THANK YOU!
  • WOW really? So when I download the file from lulu to use on my own website, the cover is not included? Strange. And what do you mean by 'several instances of your cover'? Thanks for the help!
  • Thanks for your help! I think I found my problem in my odt file!
  • Glad you were able to find the .odt file issue! Formatting can be a little tricky with Open Office/Libre Office, so it might take a little more digging to find the correct settings.

For the cover, we treat the "interior" and "cover" separately for all books, including ebooks. You can get a complete epub file by completing the project, setting the price to $0, and buying a copy. A bit tedious, I know, but our system stores all books as two files, and you can only get the combine file when its purchased. Its one of many small changes on our list of improvements to be made.

Don't forget to update the price after you purchase the ebook for yourself too. Once it is bought, you can redownload the file easily from your Orders page.
  • This was the answer!!!! Even though everything looked left, there was a hidden indent in the formatting! THANK YOUUUUU!
  • The cover and interior files are joined upon completion of the publishing process.

Once published, go to the product page on Lulu.com and click the download for free button at the top of the page. (only the author sees this option).

As you are discovering, eBook formattting and publishing is as much dark art as it is a science, but once you've done it a few times, it will get easier.