Anyone else have this problem?

I know this has been discussed briefly, but I have not found a solution.

Please read all of my question before dismissing it as already been discussed, as I still have problems that I could not find a solution for in other discussions.

In order:

I have printed two books with Lulu, each a paperback for sale, and have made one hard cover of each for myself, with no problems.

I want to convert one of the books to ebook

I am new to styles, but read what I could and I was able to reformat, and use styles as instructed, and the book was converted to ebook format.

As I reviewed the book, there was a blank page before each Heading 1 and Heading 2 Styles. Looking over my Word DOC, I could see the Section breaks and Page breaks that I added manually, however the breaks before the Styles did not show up on my Word Doc.  I even went through the process of deleting all page and section breaks from the document, yet when converted there is still a blank page before all Headings and Chapters. (anywhere I used Heading 1 or Heading 2)

I contacted Lulu Support. Glenda has been very helpful, but we still have no soulution

Here is how this all progressed through our emails, and I hope I can be clear on this.

I stated the problem.

She said it was the section breaks and removed all the section breaks in my Word file and converted it.

The blank pages between chapters disappeared, however, with all breaks removed there were places I needed to add breaks back in.

I made the changes, saved the document and converted it through Lulu.  Again there were blank pages before every chapter and heading.

I explained my problem again, again she took my Word Doc, removed the Section breaks which left many places squeezed together that needed breaks..

Using the same document that she removed the breaks from, II was careful not to mess with the Styles, and only added a couple of breaks as a test.  After saving again and converting, the places I added the section breaks were correct, however the Chapters and all places with Heading styles were back with a blank page before each of them.

Going through my Word Doc and showing all the“nonprinting characters”, I can find Every place I manually added a section break, but the ones before the Headings Styles do not show up on the Doc. I can’t remove what I can’t see.

I have made short documents on blank unformatted documents, I still get blank pages before each Heading style.

I have gone through the modify on the Heading Styles and unchecked the “page break before” box, as some have suggested, still to no avail. I have tried everything I can find on the internet to correct it, to no avail.

So basically, whatever I do, when I save something to my Word Doc and convert it to ePub through Lulu, blank pages will always appear before the Styles. The breaks do not show up on my Word Docs, yet the places I manually add breaks do show.

I use Word 365 for Mac.

I have Word 2008 still on my computer and tried that too, yet the blank pages are there also.

I feel I am left with two choices, either publish my ebook with a blank page before every chapter, or publish it with no blank page before chapters, and having things like the copyright, and dedication all squeezed together on the same page.

If someone has experienced this same problem I would like some advice

I am adding a screen shot of my Doc. to show what I'm looking at.

On this shot of my document, the only section break that shows up on ths page is after the Dedication. That is a section break that I added manually.  Yet when converting to epub there is a blank page added after the ISBN and before "Dedication" There is also a blank page between, "danny the teenager 1969" and "Author's Intrusion."

So there are breaks there, but they don't show up nor am I able to remove them. Yet Gilda at Lulu can both see them and remove them.

Thanks

Roy

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press ✭✭

Attach your word document if you want.

Also, no section breaks in ebooks.

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

I format for Epub using OO or LO Writer. I format for print with Word 97

No major issues so far other than migrating from XP SP3 to Ubuntu 16.04 while keeping a backup box..

Try making a copy of the doc. Open the copy in Word, select all, then set all text to default. Remove all page and section breaks, headers, footers, page numbers, and schtuff an epub doesn't use. Save the file.

Open the copy in Writer, apply the heading 1, 2, or 3 as and where applicable. Indent as needed. Save.

Upload the copy to the converter, see what comes out.

Or do as EmPress suggested.

• Thanks,

I had tried something similar. I saved the document as text only and went back and added the headings, etc. Same result.

Also, as a test I took a blank document and manually wrote the first few pages without copying and pasting anything. I added the Headings 1 and 2. It still converted with a blank page between each place I had put a Headings Style.

I'm not to the point that I want to pay to have it fixed, I'm still wanting to find out myself how to fix the problem.

Roy

• Also, I had downloaded Writer, although I have never used it. I will convert it and try that.

MS Word has a few things in the background that don't play well with other applications, like "Let Word Fix It" automatically and the like.

Word (when set correctly) does a credible job for print files, which is what it was originally designed for since it's pre-epub.

Opening a Word doc in Writer, saving, the reopening in Word usually snarls Word's original formatting.

This is why when formatting for Epub I use Word to strip out all of its formatting as possible (including margins, headers, footers, and so on), then after a save I open with Writer and begin formatting. I also catch the crap Word left behind and take care of it.

With absolutely no page or section breaks the uploaded file, when converted will have one break added prior to the Heading 1, 2, or 3, which makes sense as those spots formatted as Heading are what are used to make the Epub TOC.

• MS Word does have an option for applying breaks to Heading styles. If Word has your Heading styles set such that a break is added before each instance of the style, you'll see this problem in your epub.

Our converter is going to strip out all manually inserted breaks, so no reason to keep them in the file. But if the Heading style has a break attached to it, that will carry over to the conversion.

I attached a screen shot. This is MS Word for Mac 2016, so not the exact same version. But if you right click on the Heading style in the quick menu, then click the 'Format' dropdown, you can select 'Paragraph.' Under this window, select 'Line and Page Breaks' and verify the 'Page Break before' option is unchecked.

• Thanks Paul.

Yes, I do have Word for Mac 2016.  I also have unchecked the "page break before" option in the Styles menu, and it didn't change the results.

As far as manually inserted breaks, over my trials I have removed all the breaks that show in my manuscript, and results are the same. Blank page before Headings styles, plus where I removed the breaks, the pages run together.

I know there is something I am not getting, as I sent the file to Lulu Support and they were able to remove the extra breaks (that don't show on mine) Again, I took that same file to make small changes not related to breaks, and when I saved it, all the blank pages came back.

I do have a work around, which I'll explain in my next post. But it does not solve my problem with my Word program.

(As I mentioned, I have only begun using styles, so I have a bit to learn.)

Roy

• Thanks Cameron,

I was able to work with Writer and made enough changes to check them out. I saved the file as a .odt, converted it on Lulu, and my blank pages were gone. It turned out the way I wanted. I'm not sure if I did it exactly as you described, but it worked.

I still have to go in and reformat my personal touches, but no big problem.

I suppose this could be a partial solution, but I don't know if I should label it solved.   I still haven’t figured out the original problem with my Word program.

At least I should be able to get the ebook published to my satisfaction. 

I'll keep working with Word. I appreciate all the advice and when I come up with a solution, I'll post it.

Thanks

Roy

Roy,

There is a reason I still use an antique like Word 97, MS hasn't "New & Improved" it to death ans it does what I want it to for print versions.

What might help with Word is https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/word/634-word-remove-page-breaks.html

While it may be aggravating to switch between word processors depending on what you're working on, OO or LO Writer works well for Epub, which is why I use it.

Glad I was able to be of some assistance, as I've had days where I wanted to beat my head against the keyboard.

Experience has shown me that often enough hardware and software have one thing in common, what's advertised as fulfilling all purposes rarely does.

Now I'm off to other activities, as the Wife just told me on the fon Lulu needs to hire me for Help Desk, and I hate working Help Desk. Been there, done it, still have a tee-shirt somewhere.

RoyR wrote:

Thanks Cameron,

I was able to work with Writer and made enough changes to check them out. I saved the file as a .odt, converted it on Lulu, and my blank pages were gone. It turned out the way I wanted. I'm not sure if I did it exactly as you described, but it worked.

I still have to go in and reformat my personal touches, but no big problem.

I suppose this could be a partial solution, but I don't know if I should label it solved.   I still haven’t figured out the original problem with my Word program.

At least I should be able to get the ebook published to my satisfaction. 

I'll keep working with Word. I appreciate all the advice and when I come up with a solution, I'll post it.

Thanks

Roy

• In the picture you send, I saw before titles "Dedication" and the other, some litle black square marks. Also the line that you underline theese words must take off. If you have saved the first document, make a copy and try on it. Some time the message Lulu sent us is deferent from the real problem because the system does't recognise the real one.

If you want to make it an epub and not simple ebook to pdf you must leave it at the form the Word system gave you and the only change you must do is to make the chapters to Heading 1. <<<<Anything else is useless>>>>. Then (if you have new Windows) at the Word button up to the left, you go to the Preparation and save it as Stamping As Complete. Then send this document to Lulu's system.

If you want to make it a pdf, make a Table of contens do any changes you want and save it as Stamping As Complete again.

Lulu's system converts the documents.

Good luck.