Allowed formatting in ebooks

Hello again!

I have been reading through Lulu's guides on eBooks using Word (all of which are super helpful!) and following them as I move through the formatting process. I also have been searching the forums here for some tips.

Still, I have a rather general question followed by a specific one.

What paragraph formatting (other than bold and italics) come through in the ePub format?

For example, lets say I create a new paragraph style, "blockquote" for example, and have it indent from the left side of the page half an inch as well as be 10 point instead of 12. Specifically: Will the left indent come through in the epub or is that stripped out in the conversion?

I am working on a cookbook and thinking of ways I can visually differenitiate different sections (ingredients, directions, notes, etc.).

Thanks everyone!

PS: thanks again to the veteran Lulu publishers on these forums. You have been tremendously helpful!

Comments

• I have just looked at several Kindle epubs and can see the following:

italics

bold

indentation

different font sizes

You should be able to format a cook book with these, for example ingredients in bold, instructions is regular font and notes in italics. Indentation is probably best left for indicating new chapters in fiction; it doesn't look very nice when combined with lots of white space.

• Em_PressEm_Press ✭✭

You can create your own Quick styles. All your formatting will be preserved. Just make sure that your Normal text is Normal style.

• Thanks for the tips you two!