Using songs by famous artists on the story

Is it ok if I used songs by artists(like Bebe Rexha's, Demi's, etc...) even if I don't have their permission? Like let's say, in the story it's their own song or saying that it's their favorite song.

Comments

• CE_RoseQuartzRe wrote:

Is it ok if I used songs by artists(like Bebe Rexha's, Demi's, etc...) even if I don't have their permission? Like let's say, in the story it's their own song or saying that it's their favorite song.

The answer is an easy one: No.

You cannot use song lyrics (or, for that matter, any copyrighted material) without obtaining explicit permission from the copyright owner.

You can mention a song title if you wish. For instance you could write "That's What I Like is Bruno Mars' favorite song." That's OK. But you cannot use any of the music or lyrics.

R

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

Ron is exactly right, and with that said, some publishers will go even further and will get permission even to mention a song title. If you ask ASCAP, the very idea that a song exists should cause you to have to pay royalties, but that's because ASCAP is a bit overzealous.

Titles are not copyrighted nor copyrightable. That doesn't mean that someone won't "Try it on." For example, there was an "Artist" in the San Francisco area, working under the name Ashleigh Brilliant, who used to copyright books of aphorisms, and then try to sue anyone who used one of the aphorisms. You cannot copyright a remark or an aphorism, but he tried.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashleigh_Brilliant#criticism

So to make a long story short, the more that you avoid using anything that is even loosely connected to a copyright, the better your lawyers will sleep at night.