suspended, copyright issue

My account has been suspended and the rep i called had little information and that I must respond to an email dmca thing.

WHen i started my account (the suspended one) I sent a support ticket specifically asking about what i was doing, never answered.

WHat did i do?

I took a pdf manual (700 pages) for a program that I bought and had it printed. Not for resale, no linked, just one copy for private use...just me.

I told them I wanted to print many of my manuals since i hate reading pdfs...and would rather have a book.

The pdf is not available in book format. Printing at home would be an option, but a poor one, rather have the binding and all.

So now, my money is gone, the book is not coming after waiting for a few weeks, and support phone call got me nowhere.

I am very unhappy about this.

They could have spoken with me via my initial email weeks ago.

This is not a copyright issue, this is me just printing my manual, one time, for me.

my account clearly shows this.

Comments

• I'm afraid you are wrong; this is a copyright issue. You are not allowed to publish (that is what producing a book on Lulu is; it is publishing not merely printing even if you only print one copy for yourself) a book which you did not write yourself unless you get the express permission of the copyright holder.

Printing a manual on your printer at home is OK, provided that it is used only by you at home. Setting up a Lulu account in your name and then uploading the PDF manual to make a print book is publishing whether you like it or not - and this is an important distinction to understand - and you do not have permission to do this.

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

There are print shops in various cities that will print off and bind one copy of a manual for someone's personal use, perhaps not the cheapest route but it can be done.

• danielblue wrote:

I'm afraid you are wrong; this is a copyright issue. You are not allowed to publish (that is what producing a book on Lulu is; it is publishing not merely printing even if you only print one copy for yourself) a book which you did not write yourself unless you get the express permission of the copyright holder.

Printing a manual on your printer at home is OK, provided that it is used only by you at home. Setting up a Lulu account in your name and then uploading the PDF manual to make a print book is publishing whether you like it or not - and this is an important distinction to understand - and you do not have permission to do this.

I believe Daniel is absolutely correct about this. By going through Lulu you are, in fact, publishing the pdf file as a book.

• SphinxCameronSphinxCameron Southern Escarpment Hill Country ✭✭

Ron Miller wrote:

danielblue wrote:

I'm afraid you are wrong; this is a copyright issue. You are not allowed to publish (that is what producing a book on Lulu is; it is publishing not merely printing even if you only print one copy for yourself) a book which you did not write yourself unless you get the express permission of the copyright holder.

I believe Daniel is absolutely correct about this. By going through Lulu you are, in fact, publishing the pdf file as a book.

You and Daniel are correct. Some PDF Manuals do allow for printing one copy for personal use, meaning a book project that wasn't set to Private would run afoul of Copyright Laws.

Hence the local print shop suggestion for a one-off copy.