We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.

At this time, we're investigating the problem and looking for a solution.

If you've encountered this issue while converting your file, we suggest attempting to create and upload an EPUB directly to our system.

While there are a number of EPUB conversion options, Calibre (Download Here) has shown the best results for creating an EPUB for the Lulu system. Please review their extensive Help resources (Found Here) to create an EPUB 2 that our system can validate.

We've also created this Forum Thread. Post questions here and we'll do our best to respond and assist.

suspended, copyright issue

My account has been suspended and the rep i called had little information and that I must respond to an email dmca thing.

WHen i started my account (the suspended one) I sent a support ticket specifically asking about what i was doing, never answered.

WHat did i do?

I took a pdf manual (700 pages) for a program that I bought and had it printed. Not for resale, no linked, just one copy for private use...just me.

I told them I wanted to print many of my manuals since i hate reading pdfs...and would rather have a book.

The pdf is not available in book format. Printing at home would be an option, but a poor one, rather have the binding and all.

So now, my money is gone, the book is not coming after waiting for a few weeks, and support phone call got me nowhere.

I am very unhappy about this.

They could have spoken with me via my initial email weeks ago.

This is not a copyright issue, this is me just printing my manual, one time, for me.

my account clearly shows this.

Comments

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

I'm afraid you are wrong; this is a copyright issue. You are not allowed to publish (that is what producing a book on Lulu is; it is publishing not merely printing even if you only print one copy for yourself) a book which you did not write yourself unless you get the express permission of the copyright holder.

Printing a manual on your printer at home is OK, provided that it is used only by you at home. Setting up a Lulu account in your name and then uploading the PDF manual to make a print book is publishing whether you like it or not - and this is an important distinction to understand - and you do not have permission to do this.

• Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian

There are print shops in various cities that will print off and bind one copy of a manual for someone's personal use, perhaps not the cheapest route but it can be done.

• Ron MillerRon Miller Professor

danielblue wrote:

I'm afraid you are wrong; this is a copyright issue. You are not allowed to publish (that is what producing a book on Lulu is; it is publishing not merely printing even if you only print one copy for yourself) a book which you did not write yourself unless you get the express permission of the copyright holder.

Printing a manual on your printer at home is OK, provided that it is used only by you at home. Setting up a Lulu account in your name and then uploading the PDF manual to make a print book is publishing whether you like it or not - and this is an important distinction to understand - and you do not have permission to do this.

I believe Daniel is absolutely correct about this. By going through Lulu you are, in fact, publishing the pdf file as a book.

• Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian

Ron Miller wrote:

danielblue wrote:

I believe Daniel is absolutely correct about this. By going through Lulu you are, in fact, publishing the pdf file as a book.

You and Daniel are correct. Some PDF Manuals do allow for printing one copy for personal use, meaning a book project that wasn't set to Private would run afoul of Copyright Laws.

Hence the local print shop suggestion for a one-off copy.