It's Been a While

Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian

It's been a while since I lurked around the various fora, primarily due to circumstances of the past year. Rather than bore people with my particular tale of gloom, despair, agony, and travail, let me suffice it to say the last year has been infuriatingly frustrating with highlights of joy.

How else would life be with an auburn-haired 3.5 year-old princess who is 3.5 feet tall and has taught herself how to read while the redheaded not-quite-one-year-old princess is 31 inches tall, has mastered walking, is now running, and is working on using words when she’s not charming adults into minion status.

What prompted me to visit now instead of when I have time to finish editing a novel I had meant to release two years ago was the arrival of a royalty check. If I actively promoted my work it wouldn’t be a big surprise to get a check at irregular intervals, but since I don’t it got me wondering why now.

Much to my surprise once I logged in I found I had sold print copies of both the books I have released (two copies of the first, one of the second). This is likely due to the wonderful artwork of Ron Miller catching someone’s eye long enough for them to take a closer look, but it does make one wonder. I’ll likely never know the details, and I rarely have the time to sit and ponder inscrutable matters these days much less edit or write.

For now my spare moments (when I’m not actively keeping two demon princesses from conquering the known world) involve horticulture, to include Poncirus trifoliata (Sour Orange/Bitter Lemon), Citrange (Citrus insitorum a.k.a. x Citroncirus webberi), Citrumelo (x Citroncirus spp.), Blood Orange, and the other trees I have to chisel a hole to plant.

** It should be noted it’s raining here on the plateau, so this message will be posted after the Internet connection returns. Considering the nature of where we live, it’s a miracle the power hasn’t gone out due to the ongoing frog-strangling turd-floater that’s making low-water crossings death-traps about now. Flash floods are fun in these here parts.

Comments

• Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian

Ah, when I mentioned using a chisel to make a hole, it was literal.

HammerHole3.jpg

Then there are the number of holes, as I have a lot of peat pots and more seedlings to put in them.

• oncewasoncewas Publisher

Hey Sphinx

How are you doing? It certainly has been ages since you made a post.

Book selling is a crazy roller coaster ride. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes I'll publish a book and nothing happens and then months later there will be a sale and then a few days later another one. Sometime it goes quiet again; other times there will be a repeat performance of one followed soon after by another and maybe another.

Other times I'll have a few sales after publication, then it sinks away. And just when you think the book has died and you should be carving the tomb stone it will sell again.

I used to be sceptical about print books and now I sell more print books than ebooks. My cheaper books don't outsell the more expensive ones. Like I said, there's no rhyme or reason. One just has to enjoy creating the books.

Daniel,

I'm surviving, and dealing with life as it happens. We've got another little demon warrior in the oven, likely another princess.

Four inches of rain yesterday, more of the same today, so as usual in the Hill Country when it rains it floods (except our house is higher than most of the surrounding terrain and sitting on three huge slabs of native rock).

My roller coaster has been more getting the time to work on my books of late as I never expected to get rich off book sales. Precocious daughters do tend to demand a lot of time. Perhaps now that the younger one is studying the world more I can do some edits done and release another book, as long as someone doesn't get too good at climbing too quickly.

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Librarian

One might think that you enjoy being under the thumbs of those demon warrior princesses of yours... Smiley Happy

Reading at 3.5 is quite a degree of precocicity. You're going to spend the next twenty years on your toes, my friend, trying to stay ahead. Best of luck with that.

As for sales, I know the feeling. Someone overseas has been buying a few of my books here and there -- one is Aus, one in GB, and so forth -- and it's just enough to make me wish that the sales channels gave us a bit of a clue about the buyers. But that would be going too far, I suppose.

In twenty years I'll be ready for planting, raising demon princesses do take it out of you.