Obtain Lulu ISBN before uploading PDF?

Hi Lulu community!

I am brand new to this whole deal and working on the final revisions of my book (softcover, 8.5 x 11, full color, retail distribution). I am using the template Lulu provides for this format and on the copyright page, it has a spot for the ISBN. However, going through the wizard, the ISBN is only available (I think) after I finish the cover, which is after I upload the content to create the print-ready PDF.

Can I obtain Lulu's free ISBN prior to uploading for the print-ready version so I can include it in the final PDF?

Thanks!

Comments

• It's easier if you go through the wizard then when it offers you the ISBN copy it then paste it to your document then make a pdf. If you are only selling a pdf you don't need the number because lulu can't sell them outside of this site at least not on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

• Em_PressEm_Press ✭✭
    You do get the ISBN before the upload stage. You will not be offered an ISBN for PDF ebooks. Start a practice project. Play around with it.
  • Thanks!

I put it in as print (I thought) and don't recall the ISBN option coming up. I want to do the softcover, full-color, 8.5 x 11 print book.

Ah Ha!! .... It did it not pop up the option because I chose "Make available only to me?" and not "Sell on Lulu, Amazon, B&N and more"  I changed the option and the ISBN option was the very next screen Smiley Happy

Thanks!

• As a note for anyone reviewing this post:

I bought the ISBN from Bowker for $125. Based on what I found in the discussions here, that seemed to be the best method (as opposed to using Lulu's free ISBN). I did not buy a UPC from Bowker, however, since Lulu supplied the UPC for free using my ISBN.
  • Just a quick note for future projects, you can buy an ISBN directly from us for a little less:

https://www.lulu.com/shop/yourisbn/service/product-yourisbn.html

Same service as Bowker provides, usually take a couple days longer as we have to connect with them to get the ISBN assigned once we have your info, but it is a few bucks less.
  • Out of curiosity, can a Lulu-issued ISBN be converted to a personal ISBN?

•  

Paul_Lulu wrote:
    Just a quick note for future projects, you can buy an ISBN directly from us for a little less:

https://www.lulu.com/shop/yourisbn/service/product-yourisbn.html

Same service as Bowker provides, usually take a couple days longer as we have to connect with them to get the ISBN assigned once we have your info, but it is a few bucks less.

Great to know! Thanks for the tip. I am working on the eBook version now and might take Lulu up on this.

• NDLineGeek wrote:

Out of curiosity, can a Lulu-issued ISBN be converted to a personal ISBN?

The free Lulu ISBNs cannot, as we've already assigned an imprint name to the ISBN. If you purchase your own ISBN (from us or any service), you'll be able to assign the information as you see fit.