Created epub 3.0 in Calibre - trouble importing

Hello! I apologize if someone has already asked this question - I couldn't find a search function in the forum.

I created an epub in Calibre which validates as 3.0.1 at validator.idpf.org. However, when I try to import it to Lulu, the error document says it's validating against version 2.0, and the subsequent list of errors is consistent with that.

Does Lulu not support epub 3.0? What are my options at this point? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• This is a sad consequence of the way the internet is developing. Firefox uses Flash version 25 but when you want to preview a book in the Lulu bookstore it tells you that you need Flash version 8 or higher. What it really means is that Flash 25 is not backwardly compatible with Flash 8.

Your only option is to upload a Word document and have the Lulu converter create the epub.

• Thanks for your reply, Brambles, but since I don't own a copy of Word, and OpenOffice is almost as notoriously sloppy in its formatting as Word, and I already have everything formatted just the way I want it in epub, that's not a solution that's going to work for me. I'll sooner find a different publisher than throw all my work away and start over. I hope someone from Lulu is able to offer another option. Thank you.

• Em_PressEm_Press ✭✭

Hi Ben,

Download the free Sigil software for epubs. Never ever use Calibre. Lulu will always reject.

• Sigil appears to only be available for Windows XP, which is deprecated and insecure. I'm not going to do that. I just won't use Lulu if they can't support a file format newer than 10 years old. Thanks anyway.

• You should be able to find Sigil on new platforms (I currently have installed on a Windows 10 machine and a Mac running Sierra). I highly recommend using Sigil over Calibre. Both are fine programs, but Calibre has a much higher likelihood to create an EPUB we have to reject.
    If you want to continue to use Calibre, I'd suggest rolling the file back to EPUB 2 and trying that.