Advice on adding commentaries

I'm working on a old public domain book and am going to add commentaries and advice to each chapter. What is the best way to do this? I mean to separate my writing from the actual book. Do I write 'editors note" or  use italics etc. Not sure how to go about it. Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Italics are tiring. Put a title: Commentary, and your name with an em dash after it.

A citizen of the world.

• Matthew Henry, in his Commentary on the Whole Bible (1708), put the original text (scripture) in Bold, with a blank line before and after each passage from the original. It's an easily understood style and works well for what he was doing.

Original Original Origin al ORIGINAL original Original Ori-

ginal ORIGINAL original original Original Original Original

comment comment comment comment comment comment

comment comment comment comment comment comment

more comments and further discussion comments, comment

common comments commonly commented, commentary.

One might also use indentation -- Give the entire cited passage a double indentation, with the commentary only single indented.

. . . . . . . . Original, Origin, Original

. . . . . . Original Original, ORiginal

. . . . . . ORIGINAL Original Origina

. . . Comment, comment, comments commonly

commented, comments, comment, comments.

commentary common to commentaries, comments

comment to comment, commentary, comment

Those styles will work if the proportion of  original to commentary is something like 1:2 or greater. If it's more of a line by line, then you might use either a two-column system or an interlinear style:

Original original original original;

comment comment comment comment

Original Original original original

comment Comment comment.

OR

ORIGINAL original original . | . comment comment comment

original original Original O. | . Comment, comment! comment

riginal Original ORIGINAL .  | . comment comment comment

The two column method might prove difficult to set up, and the interlinear means that you have to make your lines a little short to keep them from wrapping if you make changes.

Depending on the proportion of original to commentary, I'd probably go with either the first or the second.

So, you're finally starting on the Go Rin No Sho project? Smiley Happy

• Yep Skoob how'd you guess? Smiley Wink  Got some good ideas just need to get off my butt and do it lol.

• An excellent way to do this would be to use sidenotes. This allows you to place your commentary adjacent to the text without interrupting it and it also keeps the reader from having to constantly glance toward the bottom of the page as footnotes would require.

When I use sidenotes, I set up my pages with two columns, a wide inside column for the main text and a narrower outside column for the notes. Here is one example:

sidenote.jpg

The actual proportions will depend to a degree on your page size. In this case, the sample is from a book with 8.5"x11" pages. But the principal is the same.

I might add that I do not do this in Word but rather in Pagemaker, a page layout program similar to InDesign and others.