Editing the first edition of a book before approving final printing

Hi, I just finished my first book, uploaded it and asked for the proof copy. The copy arrived and I found a couple of things that needed editing in the text. I didn't see any way to just edit the pdf I had already loaded. I clicked on edit and found that I had opened a new edition. Is this the only way to edit the text of the first edition? I haven't ordered any copies for my proposed use yet, just the one to look over. I have now made the needed edits in the pdf I made to upload. Do I simply upload again to the new edition and then everything is ready for printing, including the original front and back cover? Help.

Comments

• Do you not still have the original document you made the pdf from? You should always keep a backup of the original in case you need to revise or edit it. After editing all you would need to do is choose revise on the project link. Then when you get to the part where you upload, delete the one there and upload the new one. Just keep clicking next all the way to the end after that. No need to change cover or blurb. All you're concerned with is the interior right? Hope that helps

• Jair1 wrote:

Hi, I just finished my first book, uploaded it and asked for the proof copy. The copy arrived and I found a couple of things that needed editing in the text. I didn't see any way to just edit the pdf I had already loaded. I clicked on edit and found that I had opened a new edition. Is this the only way to edit the text of the first edition? I haven't ordered any copies for my proposed use yet, just the one to look over. I have now made the needed edits in the pdf I made to upload. Do I simply upload again to the new edition and then everything is ready for printing, including the original front and back cover? Help.

Click on the "revise" link, which will put you back into the publishing wizard. You can't change author, title, or ISBN. Anything else that needs changing, you can change as you go through.

When you get to the "Upload" and "Make Print Ready Interior" part, FIRST Delete the Old manuscript. THEN upload the new manuscript.

The "Make print-ready interior" part of the wizard will put the documents together in the order that you uploaded them. So if you have the Old Manuscript still there, and you upload the new, then your book will be twice as thick, and it will have the complete old manuscript, with errors, and then the complete new manuscript, without the errors.

So make sure you delete the old manuscripts out of the "make print ready interior" part of the wizard before you upload the new manuscript.

Once it makes the Print-Ready Interior, I recommend that you download it and look for further errors before proceeding. It might save you buying another proof copy (I have about four proof copies of one of my books, because I didn't do that).

Then just finish the wizard, and you're ready to order a second proof copy (which hopefully will meet your expectations this time).

• Thanks so much! I do still have the original document. I probably poorly expressed that I wasn't sure that editing the typos I found required opening a new edition to do the revision. It seems it does, so I am on the right track. I appreciate the help.

Gerry

• Thanks! I appreciate the complete steps you gave. And I"ll read over the Print-Ready pdf with an eagle eye this time.

Gerry