embedding fonts help

Hi, I've just completed the text of a book with a lot of photos on a PC using InDesign. I am now in a different location and now am using a mac, ready to save as a pdf and upload to lulu. However, on this new computer, the font I chose, Century, is not loaded, nor is this font available from Adobe. The closest is Century Old Style and it costs $25 US. 

So, when I upload and get the print ready pdf, the fonts are missing. Reading on this site, it seems I should be able to embed my font using the lulu job options file, but I don't know how to get InDesign to recognise the file. I have downloaded it, but what should I do next? 

Is there any other option I haven't thought of to keep my same font? I don't want to have to tweak my entire layout for a new font. 

Thanks for any help! 

Newbie Jair1

Comments

• I don't know if it is any help but I always use doPDf to create the PDF to be submitted.

It is very easy to use and it is simply a matter of selecting the Embed Fonts option.

• Not sure if this is the font you're looking for http://ufonts.com/fonts/century.html

I'm a Mac user and had a problem embedding a font in a PDF with my first book due to an issue with the program I was using (Open Office). I've since switched to Libre Office and can embed the font within the document itself. I'm not familiar with InDesign, but check if that option is available. Then, when you create your PDF and select embed fonts, it should show up okay. Good luck.  

• If you're using a Mac, open the document, then open the Print menu, go down to the 'PDF' link and then select Save As Postscript.

It should automatically embed the fonts (as it did for my book manuscript), then just work with the resulting .ps file - whether you distill with Acrobat or upload that directly to Lulu.

• Thanks to everyone who offered their advice. Much appreciated! In the end, I bit the bullet and reformatted the book using an available font on this mac. Lesson learned: don't switch from PC to Mac mid-stream! My first book is published - a nice feeling. 

Gerry