TOC...followed rules but no workie

I have a small 35 page booklet which is very simple, with a

Title (heading1)

Copy Right (heading 1)

Introduction (heading 1)

and then 12 chapters, (all of which are heading 2)

This is the lulu instructions as I understand them.

I am using office suite pro, and the document is docx.

I have reviewed everything 5 times and deleted and uploaded again and again, but still receive message that there "are no chapters" in the table of contents.

I select the text of each chapter title and then select heading 2

I did same with Title, copyright and introduction (heading 1)

I sent support ticket to lulu.com, but don't know when or if they will respond.

Any help, many thank you.

Lara

Comments

• There are number of problems with your document. I would suggest the following:

Forget about fancy styling. Is there any reason why your title has to be so large? This is an ebook, which is a completely different concept from a print book. I would use Times New Roman 12 point font.

Your Book's Title must be Headings Style 1. Yours is currently set to Book Title. It will not convert to epub if the title is not Heading Style 1.

Enter the title as New Knees Without Surgery on one line not broken up as it currently is.  If the title of the book is New Knees and the subtitle is Without Surgery then enter it as follows:

New Knees: Without Surgery

Your chapter titles should be capitalized.

Do not use tabs in manuscripts which are to be converted to ebooks as the results can be very unpredictable. Create a new style which has a deeper indent and then apply this style to the sentences that you want to have the deeper indent.

It would be best to turn your price list into a graphic and insert this into your document (not copy and paste). I am attaching a jpeg in case you don't know how to do this. Save it to your computer and then insert into your document.

prices.jpg

Good luck!

• latonk wrote:

I have a small 35 page booklet

For an ePub?

which is very simple, with a

Title (heading1)

Any default Style can be used as a Heading even if the Style is not called Heading. I say that because some confuse just changing a title (which is of course a Heading) at the top of a page to Bold, or whatever, for what Lulu asks for. You need to use the Styles named Heading in Word's Ribbon, and only 3 of those.

Copy Right (heading 1)

Copyright is one word, BTW.

Introduction (heading 1)

and then 12 chapters, (all of which are heading 2)

That is perhaps your problem.

You should only use Heading Style 1 for all of them. I am sure the TOC converter will not allow that many HS 2s to be in use, anyway.

It works like this.

HS 1 for a chapter title in the TOC, then HS 2 for a sub-title within HS 1. Then HS 3 for a sub-sub-title within HS 2. Then it has to be an HS 1 again, and so on.

If you do not have sub-titles then only use HS 1.

• Thank you!

I will apply your recommendations.   Appears you have knowledge not within lulu.com instructions?

• Thank you.

English is not my first language, so sometimes I do not know all details.

You (and Daniel) appear to have knowledge not in lulu.com instruction.

I will apply your recommendations.

• This is what Lulu says about formatting:

1. Apply Heading 1 style to the Title and to each line containing a Section name (copyright, prologue, etc.) or section (Part 1, Section II, etc.). Heading 1 style will always appear at the top of the next page.
    2. Apply Heading 2 style to each line containing a Chapter name or number
    3. Apply Heading 3 style to each line containing a subchapter or subsection.

IMPORTANT: Lulu supports a maximum of three levels in the EPUB Table of Contents (TOC). Do not use additional Heading styles (Heading 4, Heading 5) to denote chapter or section breaks, as these will not generate TOC entries. Readers will not be able to navigate to these chapters resulting in our retail distribution partners rejection of your eBook.

To prevent errors during conversion, Headings must be applied sequentially (Heading 1 > Heading 2 > Heading 3). You may use multiples of the same headings such as this sequence 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 2, 3, 3: however you cannot skip from 1 to 3.

• Thank you for the recommendations, but after revising the manuscript several times and verifying that the Title, Copyright and Introduction were Heading 1,  and that the Chapter Titles were Heading 2, and inserting the graphic table you so kindly provided, I still receive the error message for "No Chapters in TOC".

I even tried the recommendations of Mr. Lomas (making everything Heading 1) and still the same error message "No Chapters in TOC".

Is it possible that epub does not recognize or work well with Office Suite?  Must MS WORD be used?

• latonk wrote:

Thank you.

English is not my first language, so sometimes I do not know all details.

You (and Daniel) appear to have knowledge not in lulu.com instruction.

I will apply your recommendations.

I am sure Lulu's guide says those things?

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/EPUB-Conversion-EPUB-Table-of-Contents-NCX-Preparation/ta-p/114439

• latonk wrote:

Thank you for the recommendations, but after revising the manuscript several times and verifying that the Title, Copyright and Introduction were Heading 1,  and that the Chapter Titles were Heading 2, and inserting the graphic table you so kindly provided, I still receive the error message for "No Chapters in TOC".

I even tried the recommendations of Mr. Lomas (making everything Heading 1) and still the same error message "No Chapters in TOC".

Is it possible that epub does not recognize or work well with Office Suite?  Must MS WORD be used?

There are no real reasons you need to use any other Heading Style than Heading Style 1.

I have no idea why you just using HS 1 also will not work, all I can think of is that you are not actually applying a fixed default Heading Style.

This is where they are >

msword_win2010_stylesmall.png (605×320)

Highlight a word or words you want in the TOC and click on Heading Style 1. That tags the word/s to be used in the TOC.

What do you mean by Office Suite? Word is one of the tools within Microsoft's Office Suite. If you are not using Microsoft's then what are you using? Do you mean Open Office? But I think that too has MS types of Styles in it.

To get a docx to pass the TOC 'test' in Lulu's converter you only really need to apply HS 1 to Title and the word Copyright on top of the copyright page, and that should do it.

Epub reading devices normally have Search and Bookmarks people can navigate by.

• Before I started, I printed out all of  instructions and followed them closely.

Today, I borrowed a computer with Microsoft Word and copied and pasted all work into a WORD document and followed all instructions again.  Still same message that there are no chapters in table of contents.

Heading 1 and Heading 2 according to the instructions.  I removed all tabs and fomatting.

I cannot see that I have done anything incorrectly, but somewhere there is a mistake

If anyone can show where mistake is, I would not know how to thank you.

•  Thank you for your kindness.

Office Suites by Mobi Systems is what is on my android tablet. It make docx documents and has the headings 1, 2, 3

I corrected all, Title (first line) copyright and introduction are all confirmed as Heading 1

My latest try I added sections to the manuscript 

I also eliminated tabs, indents.  Everyting is on the left.  Everythign is very simple.

Section Titles are all Heading 1

Chapter Titles under each Section Title are all Heading 2.

Again, message says "no chapters in toc"

Earlier, I tried making them all Heading 1, I still received error.

I have put a request into lulu.com for help, but they have not responded.

Today, I borrow a computer and use Microsoft Word to make the document again.  Still same error, no chapters in toc.

The image you added showing the Heading selection buttons in Word I am familiar with and know how to use them.

I verified all headings properly done.  Nothing works.

Can anybody look at the attached and identify my mistakes?

Thank you

• You are not at all following what has been suggested. (And your text is laid out very strangely).

Your title is fine set with HS 1.

But what is this doing before the copyright?  "After 25 + years of suffering I can now run, jump, climb ladders and ride a bicycle WITHOUT PAIN!  No more pills or injections and NO SURGERY!" That will appear as a 'page' because HS 1 often also works like a Page Break and should be after the Copyright.

The word Copyright as a heading on the Copyright page should also be HS 1, and JUST that word, not the entire copyright.

Introduction should also be HS 1 (and that is also where > "After 25 + years of suffering I can now run, jump, climb ladders and ride a bicycle WITHOUT PAIN!  No more pills or injections and NO SURGERY!" belongs.

And just mark all the other chapter headings with HS 1 as well.

While I am here I will add >>

The headings need to be centralised.

The rest of the text needs to be Justified.

The line spacing is too large.

You could do with a small First Line Indent.

"Part of my reasons for writing this book is to try and adequately thank those people in Ukraine who helped me to find a new health and a new life."  Should you not name them then?

This >>  newknees at ukr dot net   should be newknees@urk.net.

"(What's App, Viber, We Chat,"  check on how those are actually spelled.

Is this not just an advert?!

• latonk wrote:

Thank you for your kindness.

Office Suites by Mobi Systems is what is on my android tablet.

Never heard of it, sorry.

It make docx documents

But does it actually Save As MS compatible docx?

and has the headings 1, 2, 3

But are they actually Heading Styles?  and ones that Lulu's tool can recognise?

I corrected all, Title (first line) copyright and introduction are all confirmed as Heading 1

My latest try I added sections to the manuscript 

The conversion tool with just remove the Sections.

I also eliminated tabs, indents.  Everyting is on the left.  Everythign is very simple.

Read my other post. But don't use Tabs anyway.

Section Titles are all Heading 1

Chapter Titles under each Section Title are all Heading 2.

Again, message says "no chapters in toc"

Earlier, I tried making them all Heading 1, I still received error.

I have put a request into lulu.com for help, but they have not responded.

I doubt they will because they charge for doing it for you. But they do not work weekends anyway.

Today, I borrow a computer and use Microsoft Word to make the document again.  Still same error, no chapters in toc.

Because you have it set out all wrong. It is indeed best to use a 'real' computer for such things. Even for when using Lulu's tools.   Smiley Happy

The image you added showing the Heading selection buttons in Word I am familiar with and know how to use them.

I verified all headings properly done.  Nothing works.

No, they are wrong.

Can anybody look at the attached and identify my mistakes?

Thank you

I have.  Failing that I have no idea what to add!

• What's happening is that your Word file is not using default Heading Styles. Most likely, this is due to the original software used to make the file not synchronizing properly when you converted over to a .docx.

What I would do is open the file, clear all formatting, set all Heading styles to default, and reapply the styles.
  • I stripped out your formatting (Control + A then Control + C the paste into Notepad), repeat Control + A and Control + C then pasted into a blank Word document. I uploaded the Word document and it converted properly.

I would suggest that you right click it and select Save Link As rather than left clicking and having

your software open the file in case it messes it up. Submit this docx file and then check your

epub.

• Yes. That is how they should have been Dan, but if I was the OP I would change HS 1 to black otherwise it will print as light grey.

• Thank you.  Your latest responses explain much and I also received response from Lulu (Paul) saying that the problem is the software I am using.  If the instructions had said that Microsoft Word MUST be used, I would not have attempted what I did.  I will use other computer with Microsoft Word.

Sincerely

Lara

• Thank you.

Sincerely

Lara