Pictures inside Books

Hi, I'm relatively new to publishing and I thought I should ask a question. I am in the process of publishing a history book, and I would like to add some pictures to it to liven it up. I have noticed that in many non-fiction works, there is a section in the centre of the book where there are images, and they are commonly put on photographic paper. My question is - is it possible to have such a thing using Lulu? I appreciate that this is rather ambitious, but is it possible?

Comments

• Unfortunately not.

• The reason you sometimes see photos in the centre of books is because it makes it far easier to insert them there due to the way, mainly hardcovers, are put together (take a very close look at the edge of a hardbacked book) rather than spread them throughout the book. It is also easier to put them central when a different grade of paper is used to the rest of the book.

Books where the photos are spread around and on a better grade of paper are usually comparatively expensive. They are often named Plates and in olden times would even have a sheet of tissue over them! (Annoying people often cut them out, frame each one, and sell them for silly money).

POD does not allow for such books to be made, and also note that if you even want just one photo in colour the entire book will be priced as colour.

• I'm working on a history book as well, and it works a lot better to put the pictures "in line" with your text - Word has a few features that are helpful in that respect. Just make sure the pictures you use are fairly decent resolution.

I do know what you are talking about. I have a book in my library with several photo pages on magazine stock slipped in between two otherwise consecutive pages while the rest was on regular heavy un-coated paper, and I had access to another with similar stock inserted wherever the author needed a picture.

But as kevinlomas said, you can't mix paper types in a POD book.

• I have been publishing a few history books on Createspace and Lulu with many photos.  All photos are embedded with text created in Word 2007 saved to pdf(A) and then uploaded.  For the best quality photo printing use Lulu and print in color even if the photos are black & white.  They do charge 20 cents per page for an 8X10 book but just wait till they have a 20 or 30% sale.

B&W 8X10 is 10 cents per page but the quality is much better in the color version.  You can view on of my publications on google books at:  https://books.google.com/books?id=9C-8DQAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=J.+Roy++Dodge&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjM2NTI0-_SAhUG1mMKHaUxDcUQ6AEIITAB#v=onepage&q=J.%20Roy%20%20Dodge&f=false

Photo resolution must be atleast 300dpi and you will have to correct the compression setting in the Word program as after 2003 Word does an automatic compression of photos.