Small caps, underlining and other variants okay in Epub conversion?

I can see that standard variations in Normal style for body text, such as italics and bold, are supported by the Epub converter.

But can anyone tell me what other variants -- including small caps, underlining, superscript and / or strikethrough -- are okay? Are only bold and italic okay?

Thanks!

Comments

• All are okay except drop caps. They make a mess from ebook device to ebook device and require special coding.

Select all of each particular deviation from Normal and assign a new quick style. In this way they will be preserved during conversion.

• Wow! Thank you---   this is VERY helpful.

Implicit in your reply is the idea that ePub conversion will accept headings styles (and other styles?) in addition to Heading 1, 2 and 3. Do they have to be named in any particular way? That is, could I create a small-caps variant on Normal and name it Normal SmallCaps, or should I name it Heading 6 or... ?

Clearly, I ask because I don't understand the epub converter's basis/system for acceptance/rejection of styles.

Many thanks!!!

Bill 

• William_Craig wrote:

Wow! Thank you---   this is VERY helpful.

Implicit in your reply is the idea that ePub conversion will accept headings styles (and other styles?) in addition to Heading 1, 2 and 3. 

Those are reserved for the creation of a TOC (in a set order).

Do they have to be named in any particular way?

That's up to you. It does not matter to anyone but you if you do.

That is, could I create a small-caps variant on Normal and name it Normal SmallCaps, or should I name it Heading 6 or... ?

There's already 16 Styles, all can be Modified, I do not think you need rename them and I don't think new ones can be created. But don't forget you can also highlight the text on the page and simply modify even just one word via a right click. The Styles are fine easy shortcuts for entire documents or Sections

Clearly, I ask because I don't understand the epub converter's basis/system for acceptance/rejection of styles.

Many thanks!!!

Bill 

All I would say is don't get carried away with Styles. Take a look at books at how few they use.

Also look at this >>   http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/EPUB-Conversion-Paragraph-Styles/ta-p/206695

And the entire guide >>   http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/eBook-Creator-Guide/ta-p/109443

• You have been very kind and helpful. I think I've got it now!
    One q: when you write "There's already 16 Styles," what are you referring to? Does the epub converter recognize a certain 16 styles? Where can I find a list of them? Or do you mean that Word uses a certain default set of 16?

• William_Craig wrote:
    You have been very kind and helpful. I think I've got it now!
    One q: when you write "There's already 16 Styles," what are you referring to?
    The Quick Styles in the Word Ribbon, as MS name it (top of frame in the Home tab).
    Does the epub converter recognize a certain 16 styles?

They are just handy and quick presets for text settings, hence their name. As I say, there's no reason to use too many. The Styles named Heading 1 to 3  are reserved for Lulu's Wizard to create a TOC from, and nothing else. Only use HS 1 for now. The text files for ePubs are very simple, not at all like for a printed book. KISS. Read Lulu's guides on the matter.

Where can I find a list of them? Or do you mean that Word uses a certain default set of 16?
    You do not need a list, they are there to see in Word.

• Wonderful. Thank you. I work in Word constantly, but I've always been involved in complicated work with templates loading lots of custom styles, etc., so I just never thought of Word as supplying 16 quick styles! Just goes to show that someone has to show me... :-)

• William_Craig wrote:
    Wonderful. Thank you. I work in Word constantly, but I've always been involved in complicated work with templates loading lots of custom styles, etc., so I just never thought of Word as supplying 16 quick styles! Just goes to show that someone has to show me... :-)

How can you miss them? And what do you think the templates are using?  Smiley Happy  We often get people here saying they have bother with the Lulu templates, and that's only because they do not understand how they have been defaulted and how to adjust them. Our usual anwer is, by the time you have worked out how to customise them, you may as well have learned how to make your own!