Can we use non-TOC headings, such as Heading 4 or 5?

I've read everything I can find in these wonderful guides and posts, but I can't find an answer to this basic question:
May I use additional headings, such as Heading 4 or 5, to format text without creating TOC listings and without messing up Epub conversion?
(This question assumes the additional headings won't be exotic, involving Wingdings etc., but just slight variations on style.)
All the info I see makes clear that the Epub conversion process will only recognize Heading 1 (Title), Heading 2 (typically, Chapter) and Heading 3 (typically, Section of a Chapter) for compiling a Table of Contents.
Normal (text body) is ignored for TOC compilation, and the conversion process accepts variations on Normal, such as italics and bold.
However, when I look at many nicely laid-out ebooks, I see styles that are not 1,2,3 or Normal.
I see them most often on title pages, where subtitles, author's names and/or publisher's names are shown in sizes or even fonts not consistent with 1/2/3/Normal.
The advantage in being able to use a "Heading 4" (subtitle?) and "Heading 5" (author's name) would be
1) better look on title page, and
2) acheiving emphasis for this info without triggering a TOC listing. (E.g., if author's name is in Heading 1 or 2 so as not to look too small on title page, author's name becomes a TOC item, right?)
Please excuse me if there are functions I do not understand (e.g., does the Epub converter automatically exclude book's first line, the title, from TOC? Does it automatically do something special with subtitle, author's name or other title-page formatting?) But I'd be grateful for any such information, as well as an answer to my basic question: May I use additional headings, such as Heading 4 or 5, to format text without creating TOC listings and without messing up Epub conversion?

Comments

• William

What I do if I have a 'what if' moment is create the document as I would wish to style it, start a new project and set it to private and then upload the document.

I didn't know the answer to your question but I have just created a document with Heading Styles 1 to 5. Only styles 1 to 3 show up in the TOC but styles 4 and 5 do show in the body of the text. Remember that Heading Styles have to nest, so you can't display Style 5 between Style 1 and 2.

You would be better off creating new styles, rather than using Heading Styles, You can name the new styles as you wish and use them to display different fonts, font size, italics, etc. etc.

• Favbulously helpful! Thank you!

Implicit in your reply is the idea that ePub conversion will accept headings styles (and other styles?) in addition to Heading 1, 2 and 3 and Normal. Do they have to be named in any particular way? That is, could I create a small-caps variant on Normal and name it Normal SmallCaps, or should I name it Heading 6 or... ?

Clearly, I ask because I don't understand the epub converter's basis/system for acceptance/rejection of styles.

Many thanks!!!

Bill 

• Call it Small Caps, or whatever else you want. I should forget about any Heading Styles apart from 1, 2 or 3. It is no longer a heading style that you are after but a formatting style so just name the new style as appropriate.

In the conversion process Heading Styles 1, 2 and 3 are used to build the Table of Contents. Any further heading styles do not appear in the TOC but retain whatever formatting styles had been assigned to them.

• Again, wonderfully clear. Thank you!

• danielblue wrote:

William

What I do if I have a 'what if' moment is create the document as I would wish to style it, start a new project and set it to private and then upload the document.

Remember that Heading Styles have to nest, so you can't display Style 5 between Style 1 and 2.

You can. I have just tried. But I do not know how the TOC creator would deal with that! I would assume it will apply the text etc., defaults to that section of the TOC as set in HS 5. A Heading Style is really just a Style called that and all 16 Styles could be renamed Heading (number) in succession from the existing ones, if one felt the need. Perhaps someone has done if you have 5 Heading styles! I only have 4!

You would be better off creating new styles, rather than using Heading Styles, You can name the new styles as you wish and use them to display different fonts, font size, italics, etc. etc.

Indeed. Or even just right click from 1 word to an entire page  and on-ward, and just use Modify on them. It will not change the Default Style settings, just that text from the original Style.

• Thank you! As you can see from my reply elsewhere, I'm curious about those 16 styles. Are they 16 Word default styles? Or are they 16 acceptable to the epub converter? Where do I find them listed?
  • Read your other Thread ...  Smiley Happy

• Because EPUBs are designed to easily be adjusted to the reader's eReader settings, I always advise using only Heading 1, 2, 3, and Normal. Using any other style is essentially asking for potential problems, and doesn't really add anything as the font/style can still be adjust on the eReader.
    I would not use another Heading style, even if you rename it.
  • HS 2 and 3 are TOC related are they not?

Like this >>

HS 1 for main section in a TOC.

Then HS 2 for a subsection to HS1.

Then HS 3 for a sub-subsection to HS 2 and HS 1.

Then it has to go back to HS1.

I think if HS 2 and 3 are used without being preceded by HS 1 then they are ignored by the converter, or it comes up with an error.

I think those Heading Styles must have some tag that is recognised by Lulu's converter and it would be unwise to rename them, if for no other reason than to not confuse one's self!

• Correct. The Heading styles have to be sequential, and the tags when the uploaded file is converted to html (<h1>,<h2>, and <h3>) will carry over even if you rename the style in Word.