Is there a way for the book preview to be responsive to the reader's device?

When I click on my book preview, it opens on the screen and is quite large. A scroll up and I get to see the top half and vice versa. I can shrink the screen with CTRL - but this just shrinks the preview too small. When someone has their screen set as mine is then the preiview covers the half the screen.

Is there a way for the preview to be responsive to the reader's device?

Comments

• MartinShone wrote:

When I click on my book preview, it opens on the screen and is quite large. A scroll up and I get to see the top half and vice versa. I can shrink the screen with CTRL - but this just shrinks the preview too small. When someone has their screen set as mine is then the preiview covers the half the screen.

Is there a way for the preview to be responsive to the reader's device?

At the top of the Preview frame is a + and -  just click on those.  But it's not unusual to have to scroll up and down a site's contents though, even on sites that can adjust their contents in an horizontal plane.

But not everyone will be viewing it on the same size device you have or at the same resolution. I have a 28" monitor on my PC set at 1920 x 1080, and the Preview covers about 1/3rd of it and I still have to scroll up and down to read it all. I do not see it as a problem. It's normal.

As to other things like tablets and smartphones I have never looked on Lulu's site on one, but I assume that like everything else one just needs to use one's fingers to expand or shrink the contents.

Take a look at Previews on Amazon. They are massive! (And scroll downwards usually).

https://www.amazon.com/Project-Thirian-Kevin-Lomas-ebook/dp/B00OYUMXWA/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

• The problem with the Lulu preview is to do which version of Windows you are using. I think it is Windows 8 that chops off part of the preview. Contact support so that they can get their web designers to look at it.

• My son uses W 8, and he does not have that problem, and Lulu's web designers are not going to mess with the site just because one person has a problem viewing things. Scroll is a fine option, as are the settings on your monitor.

But I have just tried to view a Preview on my smartphone and it says is needs Adobe Flash Player, and that does not seem to be available for Android, which is a ridiculous oversight, and that does need to be looked in to. Having discovered that, though, there's no option at all on Amazon to view a Preview on Android.

Considering how many people use smartphones and Android nowadays, that is astonishing.

• @kevinlomas I do use that - and + at the top. I'm just concerned some people will just see have the middle of the cover and give up. We only have a few seconds to grab the viewers attentions on the internet and scrolling up the screen then press the - + buttons takes away those seconds. I know that sounds far fetched but it happens, I've done it myself. There's so much content on the internet and if something sticks you move on.

• I use W7 and have no problems elsewhere and I don't use my phone for buying from the internet so I have not noticed that issue but I reckon, as you say, it needs to be loked at.

• MartinShone wrote:

@kevinlomas I do use that - and + at the top. I'm just concerned some people will just see have the middle of the cover and give up. We only have a few seconds to grab the viewers attentions on the internet and scrolling up the screen then press the - + buttons takes away those seconds. I know that sounds far fetched but it happens, I've done it myself. There's so much content on the internet and if something sticks you move on.

First they see the small cover and the Description, if they do not grab them then they will move on. But if that does interest them they will click Preview, and how it works is not unobvious. Scrolling is a common function of the internet.

What you say is true, but mainly about websites that load and change pages slowly (such as ones with dozens of streamed on banner adverts), and of course if people cannot find what they are looking for.

I really would not worry about it because most people buy from places like Amazon (even though Amazon has huge scrolling Previews). Use an ISBN.   Smiley Happy

And of course people first have to find your creations. Worry about that.