Posting to PO Boxes in Australia

Dear Lulu and Community,

I would like to know if it is possible for Lulu to send printed and published books to PO boxes here in Australia. I have used Lulu's services in the past and have loved it. I believe in the past Lulu has not allowed books to be sent to PO boxes in Australia and I wanted to clarify this just to make sure this is still the case. Previously I have been receiving my books through courier.

I now have a PO Box at my workplace and it would be more convenient for me to use this rather than my home street address. It is not a huge issue if posting to a PO Box cannot be achieved; it would just be nice as I'm not always home to receive the goods.

If you could get back to me when you can, this would be great.

Regards,

Paul

Comments

• I don't think they will ship to post boxes anywhere, because very often the name and address of the post box owner is anonymous (and it often why some people use them). I also do not think it's only a Lulu rule.

Is there some reason the actual address of your workplace cannot be used?

• At this time, its not in the cards for our Australian shippers, but our print team often reevaluates their options and if it is feasible, we would certainly look into it in the future
  • Once an Australian scholar needed one of my books, but couldn't have it delivered to his P.O. box by Lulu. I ordered a copy for me, and forwarded it to him from France. He paid me through PayPal.

• Thanks for the message.  In future, it would be really good if Lulu could potentially allow for books to be posted to a PO Box in Australia. I work and have an office address and spend more time in the office than I do at home. Because books come by courier here in Australia it is far more beneficial with a PO Box. But this is okay because that can work this :-)

• Lulu do not print the books, so is it Lulu or the printers who hire shippers? If the latter then it's out of Lulu's hands, but very often it is the shippers' clauses not to ship to PO Boxes.

It is not exactly the same in the UK because the Royal Mail (which still is mainly government owned I think) run their own PO Boxes and the law says that if asked by at least the police they have to divulge full details of who hires the box, so shippers will drop off at those. It's not the same with privately owned PO Box services.

It is getting a bit complex now though. Amazon have secure boxes in shops etc., accessed by a code, where people can pick up their buys from Amazon from.

E-bay offer a Click & Collect service (even to private sellers) where goods can be picked up from the counters of a huge highstreet company called Argos, who oddly also have small click & collect (and seller drop off points) in other major shops.

• In Australia, PO boxes are owned by Australia Post, which is similar to Royal mail in the UK being also a government organisation. I am not sure of the procedures but I have noticed paperback books which are organised through Lulu are printed in Melbourne Victoria. I live in Adelaide South Australia which in comparison is not that far from Melbourne.

• You do have an address they can be shipped to though, your office. But is it not a catch 22 situation? Just like your home address I assume you are not at your office 24/7 or at weekends or holidays.