Formatting Help!

I, believe, I have formatted my book correctly in Microsoft Word.  When I upload it to the print ready version, I end up with blank pages between each beginning page (cover page, copyright, dedication, and other works).  I used page breaks to move from page to page and inserted section breaks between each page in order to start the page numbering (Page 1) on the actual Page 5.  Can anyone help to fix this?  Thanks!

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

cmfrost78 wrote:

I, believe, I have formatted my book correctly in Microsoft Word.  When I upload it to the print ready version, I end up with blank pages between each beginning page (cover page, copyright, dedication, and other works).

There's no harm in that. (But I do assume you mean title page and not cover page? The cover is a different part of the Project Wizard).

I used page breaks to move from page to page

Indeed, that will create a new page, but it should not create two.

and inserted section breaks between each page in order to start the page numbering (Page 1)

So you are using both Page Break and Section Break for each page? A Section Break is exactly that, and you are right that each section can have its own settings, so  Section Break 1 for the Frontmatter with no page numbers or headers etc. Then Section Break 2 for the main content, complete with headers, footers and page numbers. Then after the main content you use Section Break 3 (they number themselves) for more pages with no numbers etc etc.

Some people do use more than 3 Section Breaks if the feel the need, but they are not to be used to create a New Page.

Page Breaks are what you use within Sections to start a New Page.

You can use both together to create both a new Section Break and a Page Break to have a New Section start have the first page of a new Section to start after a blank page.

It's not as simple as that, but that's the basics.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Insert-a-section-break-EEF20FD8-E38C-4BA6-A027-E503BDF8375C

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Insert-a-page-break-7613ff46-96e5-4e46-9491-40d7d410a043

How Do. Pull up a chair. Would you like a cup of tea? Don't sit in that chair!!
  • If you are referring to a print book, I'd suggest making the Word doc into a pdf and upload that. The convertor here tends to mess up MS Word docs for some reason. Download a free file called dopdf and install. Open your file and choose print. Select dopdf as the printer. Make sure when the dialog box comes up to select embed fonts and high quality. Then upload that and everything should be fine.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

The PDF will still retain all the Breaks.

How Do. Pull up a chair. Would you like a cup of tea? Don't sit in that chair!!