Illustrations

Finished my first children book and want my illustrator start with the illustrations.

What are the general requirements for illustrations?

What do I need to know? Is the print book size and e-book format enough info to start with the artwork?

Are the illustrations usually submitted in separate files or I have to place them in my manuscript myself? What format they have to be in?

Should I wait for illustrations to get ready and THEN send it all to the publisher or send the manuscript first for evaluation, etc?

Comments

• Kirileloo wrote:

Finished my first children book and want my illustrator start with the illustrations.

What are the general requirements for illustrations?

None as such., although they are best as 300dpi jpgs even if inserting them to the pages in another file.

What do I need to know? Is the print book size and e-book format enough info to start with the artwork?

Not quite because they are not the same thing. The size is important for a print book because you will be selecting a Project of specific dimensions, and you will also have to take margins in to account and create art to fit within them.

ePubs do not have pages. I make  a file of pages (though!) in MS word A4 in size, because e-book reading devices will simply read the text and flow it to the screen. Do take notice of the exact rules to do with images for within an ePub though, they are not the same as for in a Print book.

(Images

Blurry images are one of the most common rejection reasons from our retail distribution partners. If your document contains images, you may need to make a few adjustments in order for them to convert properly. We accept the most commonly used image formats: JPG, GIF, and PNG.

Images require a delicate balancing act since your image must have a resolution high enough to be clear and crisp, but not so high that it is too large. Try to keep the resolution on your images between 96 - 150 DPI. You will also want to keep your image size around 500 x 500 pixels or less. You can adjust image resolution and DPI in any image-editing program.

NOTE: Some retail distribution outlets do not accept images above 2 million pixels. To prevent rejection, we suggest you make adjustments to images prior to conversion to EPUB format.

To add an image to your manuscript:

1. Place your cursor in the location at which you would like your image to appear.
    2. From the toolbar, click Insert > Picture. Be sure you are inserting the image, not linking to it.
    3. The selected image displays in the cursor location.
    4. Click on the image and select Format Image.
    5. Choose the In line with text option.
    6. Click Save.
    7. Click on the image and click Center in the toolbar.

NOTE: The Lulu EPUB Converter automatically formats images as centered, in line with text regardless of the settings you apply prior to conversion.)

But if you mean a PDF e-book then you can use the same things as for a printed book.

Are the illustrations usually submitted in separate files or I have to place them in my manuscript myself?

The latter. A file of pages that look exactly like the pages of a book.

What format they have to be in?

For printed books I create a file of pages in MS Word, then Save As a PDF. That is what I upload to a Project Wizard. For an ePub I create in Word and upload a .docx.

Should I wait for illustrations to get ready and THEN send it all to the publisher or send the manuscript first for evaluation, etc?

But you will be the publisher ...

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Publish/tkbc-p/publish

You need to create the book's file of pages to the dimensions of a Lulu Project. (If you want an ISBN then select carefully).  Your illustrator will need to know the dimensions between the margins. In fact you are best working together on the Project so he knows where the text will be.