New project? or Revision?

In 2013 I published a book with Lulu. I now have revised it completely, adding a chapter, revising front and back matter, etc. So I have a new, clean, revised MS Word document to publish as a "revised edition." My guess is that I should just start all over as if it's a new book and not a revision of an old project, right? I have all the specs (paper selection, type, size, dust jacket options, etc. Should I just start a new project with those same selections and bypass the "revision" options that Lulu offers? If so, how would I get the exact cover art (color, design, etc. for the dust cover) to carry over?

Thank you, in advance, for guidance.

Claire Bettag

Comments

• HelenClaire wrote:

In 2013 I published a book with Lulu. I now have revised it completely, adding a chapter, revising front and back matter, etc.

* First of all, is it fact or is it fiction? The distinction can be very important because updating facts is not the same as revamping fiction.

So I have a new, clean, revised MS Word document to publish as a "revised edition."

The above * applies again. It's not unusual to bring out revised books on factual subjects, but usually they say so on the cover (Updated for 2017). It's not the same with fiction.

My guess is that I should just start all over as if it's a new book and not a revision of an old project, right?

In theory it is a new book, but again the above applies * . The problem can be that if you do it as a new Project and Withdraw the old one, then the old one will still be listed on sites such as Amazon for ever, just listed as no longer available. But that will not matter if it is updated facts labeled as such. It will look odd if it's revised fiction. A new project will also need a new ISBN.

I have all the specs (paper selection, type, size, dust jacket options, etc. Should I just start a new project with those same selections and bypass the "revision" options that Lulu offers?

Between me and you, if no one or very very few have bought your original book, then no one will notice it's been tinkered with so you can just Revise it.

If so, how would I get the exact cover art (color, design, etc. for the dust cover) to carry over?

Any file or image you used on Lulu to create a book can be found in your My Files and there's a link to there from the Cover Designer. But, if it is going to be revised fact then the cover needs to be edited to say so  (Updated for 2017) and the blurb on it, and the Description. And if you do it as a new Project the barcode on the back of the cover will need to be changed also.

One problem would be if you also do it as an ePub because if it is going to be updated facts it will have to say so in the title you start off with, and it will have to match throughout, and it will not allow you to revise that, so it will have to be a new Project.

I hope that all made sense!

Thank you, in advance, for guidance.

Claire Bettag

• Thank you very much. That does answer my questions. My project is not fiction. It's a compilation about my family history. I've added a chapter on a generation (and will add others later). So that has changed some of the front matter, the index, notes, appendix, etc. 

Thank you, again.

• Is it only a personal book though? Only for the eyes of your family? Set on Direct Access only perhaps? In otherwords not for sale to the general public and with no ISBN?

If that is all the above, then you can do what you like with it!

• Right. (It's not on Amazon or publicly available.) I was only trying to figure out the EASIEST way to produce the update (and when it's done I will take the old versions out of circulation, replacing them privately with the update).

At this point, I think it's probably easiest just to produce a new PDF from the new, cleaned-up Word Document and upload it as if it's a new book. Your advice on how to retrieve the cover design is extremely helpful. Thanks, again.

• Personally I've revised some of my books "including covers" and just made a revision on lulu. Lulu just sent the revised info along the sites. Considering it wasn't that much of a change no one either noticed or bothered to say anything including Amazon.

• HelenClaire wrote:

Right. (It's not on Amazon or publicly available.) I was only trying to figure out the EASIEST way to produce the update (and when it's done I will take the old versions out of circulation, replacing them privately with the update).

Just Revise the original one then. It will update automatically.

At this point, I think it's probably easiest just to produce a new PDF from the new, cleaned-up Word Document and upload it as if it's a new book. Your advice on how to retrieve the cover design is extremely helpful. Thanks, again.

Indeed. But do not forget to delete the original file of pages when you get to the upload stage in the Project or it will combine the old and new in to one file.