Finalizing / preparing for print

'lo - been a while since I last stuck my nose in this forum.

I'm that guy that was writing a book about electric history or somesuch.

Actually - I'm now well into getting "Energizing the Peace Garden State: the early days of electricity in North Dakota" ready for print.

I have my latest draft printed with most of the images placed - just waiting on the last few to be done while I go through the manuscript looking for any last-minute corrections etc.

I've even got the process of generating a good press-ready PDF down pat on this Mac (save as Postscript THEN distill with Acrobat).

The only thing not yet started is cover design... and will leave that mostly up to the graphic artist that's been helping me (but not without some ideas and raw material).

The only big hiccup I have to deal with right now is the frontispiece - I cannot seem to get the halves to line up 'just so' (it will be a two-page spread).

Enough jabber - a few questions:

Would like to hear any suggestions on how two-page spread photos are best handled.

Also would like to hear any general suggestions on things I should go back and check.

Four of the chapters have a state map accompanying it with the relevant area marked up. Right now, they are at the end of the chapter. Would it make more sense to have it on the even-numbered page facing the first page of that chapter? (If I should move the maps, I just need to make sure I can change the section breaks as required so the pages flow correctly)

Comments

• NDLineGeek wrote:

'lo - been a while since I last stuck my nose in this forum.

I'm that guy that was writing a book about electric history or somesuch.

Gosh! Does that also include lightning?

Actually - I'm now well into getting "Energizing the Peace Garden State: the early days of electricity in North Dakota" ready for print.

I have my latest draft printed with most of the images placed - just waiting on the last few to be done while I go through the manuscript looking for any last-minute corrections etc.

I've even got the process of generating a good press-ready PDF down pat on this Mac (save as Postscript THEN distill with Acrobat).

Well, I hope that Lulu's Project Wizards 'like' the PDF it creates.

The only thing not yet started is cover design... and will leave that mostly up to the graphic artist that's been helping me (but not without some ideas and raw material).

Make sure he/she knows how Lulu's Cover Wizards function and what they are expecting.

The only big hiccup I have to deal with right now is the frontispiece - I cannot seem to get the halves to line up 'just so' (it will be a two-page spread).

Enough jabber - a few questions:

Would like to hear any suggestions on how two-page spread photos are best handled.

Bleed or Full Bleed.  http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Interior-Formatting/How-do-I-make-my-content-stretch-all-the-way-to-the-edge-of-the/ta-p/33675  I have no idea how that works with the pages that do not have images on that go to the edge. Does the extra page size not upset the margin settings, etc? (Every page as to be the same size normally, I think, but experiment with that).

Also would like to hear any general suggestions on things I should go back and check.

Everything, a few times. Also set the Project as Private first, then check the Proof also before you publish.

Four of the chapters have a state map accompanying it with the relevant area marked up. Right now, they are at the end of the chapter. Would it make more sense to have it on the even-numbered page facing the first page of that chapter?

Yes. Why are they not also double-spread though? What size book are you doing?

(If I should move the maps, I just need to make sure I can change the section breaks as required so the pages flow correctly)

You should not have to do, unless you have each map in their own Sections, but it should be easy enough to adjust the Breaks.

• Lightning? Well, yes, it comes into the story for one town. There's another town where a misplaced thimble caused all the lights in town to go out for a while. In still another town, the last night its local plant was in operation ended with the plant's flywheel rolling across the street. I've even got an "Oh crap!" moment when a company realized it had built a line past a town and forgot to add a substation and a distribution line for that town.

The suggestion that I go back and check everything was well-received. I found and made numerous small corrections throughout - things that got past me, Word, Grammarly, and even the 'editor' I'd hired.

As for the frontispiece, I ended up just having the graphic artist break the main map into 2 images with a slight degree of overlap in the middle, and making sure it reached down towards the spine (but not 'full bleed' as that is not my plan / intention).

I ended up rearranging the five (not four) chapters as I previously commented, moving the maps ahead of the chapters' beginning and which put them in a more logical / consistent place. These maps were half the size of the frontispiece, taking up a single 8.5 x 11 page and which were correspondingly marked up to indicate the companies' territories.

Changing the breaks to relocate the maps went a lot smoother than expected, although it did create one blank right-hand page, which was easily corrected with some 'filler' content from my research files.

I've now tested the process of creating a book from generating the PDF up through ordering a proof copy (with a quick mock-up of the covers). The only issue was where I was cautioned about some low-resolution images (and given which ones they were, I wasn't totally surprised). I'll reserve judgement until I have the copy in hand.

I did send copies of the cover templates over to the graphic artist, so I'm sure she will be able to create proper cover images that meet the requirements. That and waiting for three fresh scans from the state archives (which will still need a bit of cleanup before use) are essentially all that remain before I go 'live' with the book.

• NDLineGeek wrote:

Lightning? Well, yes, it comes into the story for one town. There's another town where a misplaced thimble caused all the lights in town to go out for a while. In still another town, the last night its local plant was in operation ended with the plant's flywheel rolling across the street. I've even got an "Oh crap!" moment when a company realized it had built a line past a town and forgot to add a substation and a distribution line for that town.

I am not sure that can be classed as the history of electricity, but as news stories relating to it. I would expect this >>  https://www.thoughtco.com/electronics-timeline-1992484

The suggestion that I go back and check everything was well-received. I found and made numerous small corrections throughout - things that got past me, Word, Grammarly, and even the 'editor' I'd hired.

It's best to go over it a dozen times. It can be very boring, but that's Self-Publishing for you. As to employing editors, you will often even find mistakes in mass produced books published by major publishing houses, so it seems no one is immune to it, even Proof Readers, who are what you really need to check over manuscripts, not editors.

As for the frontispiece, I ended up just having the graphic artist break the main map into 2 images with a slight degree of overlap in the middle, and making sure it reached down towards the spine (but not 'full bleed' as that is not my plan / intention).

That sounds OK, but the proof is always in the Proof. Do not publish until you have ordered and viewed one or many (set the Project to Private, it can be changed later).

I ended up rearranging the five (not four) chapters as I previously commented, moving the maps ahead of the chapters' beginning and which put them in a more logical / consistent place. These maps were half the size of the frontispiece, taking up a single 8.5 x 11 page and which were correspondingly marked up to indicate the companies' territories.

Your book only applies to the USA then? It needs to say so on the cover, in the blurb and in the description.

Changing the breaks to relocate the maps went a lot smoother than expected, although it did create one blank right-hand page, which was easily corrected with some 'filler' content from my research files.

It should not have done that, check the Page Break settings.

I've now tested the process of creating a book from generating the PDF up through ordering a proof copy (with a quick mock-up of the covers). The only issue was where I was cautioned about some low-resolution images (and given which ones they were, I wasn't totally surprised). I'll reserve judgement until I have the copy in hand.

Within the book or on the cover?

I did send copies of the cover templates over to the graphic artist, so I'm sure she will be able to create proper cover images that meet the requirements.

There's no reason she cannot open a Lulu account and do a run through of a Project Wizard (on private). a file of blank pages can be uploaded at the page file section, the Wizard has no idea what the contents are!) then once through that section she can take a look at the three Cover Wizard types. (Or just one for ePubs). But keep in mind that the Cover Wizards know how many pages you have uploaded and will adjust the spine to match.

• The very first chapter in the book starts with a paragraph on the first two commercial applications of electricity - telegraph and telephone, jumps into the introduction of carbon-arc and incandescent lighting systems, segues into the birth of the utility industry, and continues from there into the late 1960s.

I do get what you are saying about the need to read and re-read the manuscript to make sure the language is consistent where applicable and to hunt down any remaining typos (I bought a book a couple summers ago that a friend self-published, and there are a few typos in that book that just jump right out at me). Most of the editing at this point has tended to be rephrasing or adjusting punctuation, so I have to think there's more than a faint glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel at this stage.

The project IS currently set to 'private' - I made sure of that when I set it up, and do see where I can change it when I'm ready to go 'live'. Smiley Happy

The book focuses on just one state within the United States - North Dakota. I'd thought that the full title makes that clear: "Energizing the Peace Garden State: the early days of electricity in North Dakota". Of course the description and the blurb, when written, will speak of this.

The blank right-hand page was a fluke, coming from both the length of that particular chapter and the change to even-page breaks in that part of the book. As I said, it was easily enough corrected with the use of an image from my research files.

The low-resolution images spoken of were within the book, and all are black & white scans.

I passed along your suggestion about setting up a Lulu account to the graphic artist - never thought of that.