HELP PLEASE! Trying to make a print-ready file more than 100 pages

My book is 318 pages.  I've managed to get all of my files into My Lulu Files, but I'm having a difficult time making the "Print-ready file". First attempt was shot down because it's 318 files. I limited it to 100 files, and it created the file. I did the cover and saved it. I went back to revise the interior pages to add the remaining 218 pages of the book. It's wanting me to make a print-ready file for the first 100 pages again!

Just to catch you up, this is my 3rd day trying to do this, and about my 20th attempt. I've tried using pdf files instead of jpegs with the same results. 

Can somebody please give me the step by step procedure for making a print-ready file of more than 100 pages, or at least the steps I need to take to add the additional 218 pages to my project and make a print-ready file for the remaining pages.

Thank you in advance for your help.

The guy with his head stuck in the monitor!  Smiley Wink

Comments

• You only need to upload one file, your completed manuscript of 318 pages. Delete the 318 individual files. Convert your manuscript to a PDF and upload.

• Uploading a 318 page book as 318, or even just 100, individual pages, is asking for trouble, and I have to wonder just what is the point? If you start off creating it as one file, as the text is entered it creates new pages complete with any default setting you set on the first page, such as auto-page numbers and many other things, and of course the text flows on its own if one adjusts anything.

• Thanks for the input folks. I'm a novice at this for starters. The book is 318 pages of high res photos of vintage tattoo artifacts from my tattoo museum. I created each page in photoshop individually, complete with all photos, text, page #'s, background art and borders. 5 months worth of work. I flattened each photo and saved as a jpeg.

The initial problem was trying to get all 318 files uploaded with a 100 file limit. So I made a pdf of the entire book using a trial version of SodaPDF. When I uploaded that it said my pages were the wrong size and I was over my 2GB limit. The file was 3.6GB!!  Fortunately I had made each page the size of the "live area" or safe zone, if you will, for my book size. So I was able to go back through each page in photoshop and increase the canvas size to the needed dimensions without altering the size of the content on the pages.  a bit of work since there are 318 pages, but live and learn. I saved all those files and then I made 4 pdf's, 3 of 100 pages each and the fourth of the remaining 18 pages. I did it that way because it seemed like Soda ran faster that way. Then I was able to reduce the file size of each of the pdf's in Soda, which btw is a very easy program to use. You can reduce the file size using a slider to set it to print, office, web, or even increase the size if wanted. It compressed the total 3.6GB into 344mb, and that was using their preset for "printing" which says it resamples images to 600dpi! The completed "print-ready file" from Lulu looks amazing!

So, I'm happy to say that I was able to easily upload the 4 pdf files, complete my book, and have just ordered my first proof copy!!

Thanks again for putting me on the right track folks! I gave the long reply here in hopes in may help somebody else in the future.

• DanoCollins wrote:

Thanks for the input folks. I'm a novice at this for starters. The book is 318 pages

You have not actually created a book, just 318 individual images. A book would have them on the pages, formatted as a book, and that is usually what people create before they upload to Lulu's Wizards.

of high res photos of vintage tattoo artifacts from my tattoo museum. I created each page in photoshop individually, complete with all photos, text, page #'s, background art and borders. 5 months worth of work. I flattened each photo and saved as a jpeg.

Yes, that its fair enough, but then the usual thing to do is to insert them on to pages in something like Word to create one file of pages. Did you also create a title page and a copyright page as images? How about a Preface and Forward? Also, normally, the file needs two blank pages at each end and total page count divisible by four.

The initial problem was trying to get all 318 files uploaded with a 100 file limit.

Indeed, but it would also not really look like a book!

So I made a pdf of the entire book using a trial version of SodaPDF. When I uploaded that it said my pages were the wrong size

Well the pages you create do have have to be the same size as the book Project you have selected. (And make sure it can have an ISBN if you want one).

and I was over my 2GB limit. The file was 3.6GB!!

I think you can get around that using FTP or something. But that is over 12mb per 'page' is it not? That sounds rather high. What size are the actual images in inches?

Fortunately I had made each page the size of the "live area" or safe zone, if you will, for my book size.

The what? Do you mean inside the margins? But the pages still have to be the size of the book size you have picked in Create.

So I was able to go back through each page in photoshop and increase the canvas size to the needed dimensions without altering the size of the content on the pages.

Do you not mean you had to reduce them?

a bit of work since there are 318 pages, but live and learn.

Welcome to DIY publishing.   Smiley Very Happy

I saved all those files and then I made 4 pdf's, 3 of 100 pages each and the fourth of the remaining 18 pages. I did it that way because it seemed like Soda ran faster that way.

I would assume that speed depends on the power of your PC.

Then I was able to reduce the file size of each of the pdf's in Soda, which btw is a very easy program to use.

I will stick to Word and its Save As PDF.   Smiley Happy

You can reduce the file size using a slider to set it to print, office, web, or even increase the size if wanted. It compressed the total 3.6GB into 344mb, and that was using their preset for "printing" which says it resamples images to 600dpi! The completed "print-ready file" from Lulu looks amazing!

So, I'm happy to say that I was able to easily upload the 4 pdf files, complete my book, and have just ordered my first proof copy!!

Thanks again for putting me on the right track folks! I gave the long reply here in hopes in may help somebody else in the future.

Cool, I am glad you are sorted out now, but I hope you are not intending to create a 318 page print book in full-colour. It will cost a fortune!

• Title page, preface, forward, table of contents, 11 chapters with title pages, afterwards and index, all with page numbers...odd on the right, even on the left. Each chapter begins on the right with blank pages as needed at the end of chapters to make that happen. Very much a book. In fact, my first book I did through Lulu as well in 2008. It's available exclusively from me. I've shipped it to every state in the US and 43 different countries. I'm sure this one will do as well.

The original images were high-res, and when opened in photoshop were 75" tall. I resized them to 10" or 7" depending on the needed size on the page, and then they were resized by using "free transform" in photoshop.

And the book isn't completely photographs. Each chapter has a title page, then an "intro" page where I give a brief desciption of the chapter, ie. in the "Cultural Tattooing" chapter I describe the different cultures that have or had tribal tattooing, and then in the chapter are photos of artifacts with info about them on each page.

So yea, it's very a much a book, just constructed using what I know, which may be a bit different than the norm.  Smiley Wink