Print books on Amazon etc

Hi all. I published my print book at the end of October 2016, and an e-book version a few days later.

• Within a couple weeks or so I had a notification from iBookstore that the electronic version was there.
  • When I look on Google Books (.co.uk and .com) it has a very nice preview of the print book, but it is not available from any of the places Google thinks it is.
  • It also says 'no e-book available', though that is for a different subject I guess

I don't understand why, after more than 3 months (rather than 6-8 weeks), I can't find the print book on Amazon or any other seller except Lulu. Barnes & Noble have the e-book version but not paperback. I haven't had any rejection emails. The book spec includes:

• Standard A5 perfect bound
  • ISBN number
  • General access
  • Preview available

It seems to me therefore that I've followed the process correctly, for anything to work at all. I have ordered several dozen print copies for myself.

How do I get the process to complete in the other sellers?

Thanks for any help,

Chris

Comments

• Well, it's been more than eight weeks. Raise a Support Ticket and ask lulu to look into it.

• Just to make sure did you search by title? If so you may never find among all the others. Search for it using the ISBN without the dashes and see if it shows up. You can also put in Google search and see where all the book is for sale.

• Did you order and approve a proof copy? The reason I ask is because with my first book, I ordered several copies, but not through the Global Distribution option. Check your project and see if there's a message to "approve or deny your proof to continue distribution." That shows up if you have ordered a proof. If you haven't ordered one, there's a different message. If you did everything you were supposed to, raise a support ticket.

• Thanks TheJesusNinja

TheJesusNinja wrote:

Just to make sure did you search by title? If so you may never find among all the others. Search for it using the ISBN without the dashes and see if it shows up. You can also put in Google search and see where all the book is for sale.

I searched by my name, and 2nd hand copies of an old book came up in Amazon. On Google books they had it, and I clicked on the links to other booksellers they provided - it looked like it used ISBN to search with.
    It's called Metamorphosis, I should have included the subtitle lol! So I don't search with the title.
    Thanks for your thoughts!

• Hi HJ_Peterson, thanks for the idea. Yes, I ordered a proof copy and OK'd it at the start of Nov. I did start a further revision, but that's incomplete and set to Private access. I wouldn't expect that to affect it... ?

• Thanks for the idea Em_Press, I've now raised a ticket - I think! Raising a 'support ticket' doesn't seem to get a space with that label on it, had to go through layers of FAQ-type questions first. Is that the place? I've only had an automated response so far, but I guess it's the weekend. Time will tell!

• Using the title of your book on Amazon Books I came up with 4,289 instances, most of which seemed to be obvious self-publishers taking advantage of Franz Kafka's book of the same tiltle possibly being out of copyright! (I thought Amazon had said they would remove all such 'clones'?) Without knowing your ISBN or name it's not easy to see where your book is.

Is this what you filled in about the problem?  http://www.lulu.com/support?L1=1se&L2=1se2gi

Note that Lulu do not work weekends for a start.

• I see your support case and its in line to be reviewed by our distribution team. They should be able to shed some light on the issue.
  • Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, that's where I went. Good reminder about weekends.

kevinlomas wrote:

Using the title of your book on Amazon Books I came up with 4,289 instances, most of which seemed to be obvious self-publishers taking advantage of Franz Kafka's book of the same tiltle possibly being out of copyright!

Can't see how it is 'taking advantage' because it is clearly a disadvantage - unless they are actually duplicating the content.

My book page is http://www.lulu.com/shop/christine-rigden/metamorphosis/paperback/product-22918508.html

Someone pointed out to me my erroneous decision about 2 days after I published - and I think I can't change it now without a new ISBN? I often refer to it as 'Metamorphosis: Poems of transition' - but it's too late for that to be official. Oh well.

• LicoriceTwist wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, that's where I went. Good reminder about weekends.

kevinlomas wrote:

Using the title of your book on Amazon Books I came up with 4,289 instances, most of which seemed to be obvious self-publishers taking advantage of Franz Kafka's book of the same tiltle possibly being out of copyright!

Can't see how it is 'taking advantage' because it is clearly a disadvantage - unless they are actually duplicating the content.

And that is exactly what some people do. They find free text on places like http://www.gutenberg.org/ and turn them in to books, asking money for them. It would not be so bad if 100s if not 1000s of people were not at it, all publishing the exact same text.

My book page is http://www.lulu.com/shop/christine-rigden/metamorphosis/paperback/product-22918508.html

That ISBN does not appear to exist. Is it your own? Where is it registered with?  See >>  http://www.isbnsearch.org/isbn/9780951322130    I think Lulu's are from the distributor, Ingram's.

Someone pointed out to me my erroneous decision about 2 days after I published - and I think I can't change it now without a new ISBN? I often refer to it as 'Metamorphosis: Poems of transition' - but it's too late for that to be official. Oh well.

Do you mean the title? It does have a sub-title though, and that could have been included in the title you entered at the start of the Project.  Don't worry about it because it's not unusual for many many books to have the same main title, because not everyone has the same name as you. There's many things people can use in a search, but not if your ISBN is a dead-end!

It would indeed mean a New Project and a new ISBN, and the other Withdrawn, but it's not as if your book has got any further than your Spotlight.

And if I was you I would use a Lulu ISBN (for free). You can still designate yourself as the publisher in the Project details, and Blurb and Description, even though it will say Lulu is on other sites.