value versus premium paperback

can anyone tell me the difference between a 'value paperback' and a 'premium paperback' which is said to be bookstore quality? Given that some 'premium paperbacks' are available for distribution - are they poor quality? what's the difference?

thanks.

Comments

• I think the premium paper is better. It holds the ink better. If you have lots of photos or diagrams the ink can smug or pool with the cheaper paper. That's the only thing I think of at the moment.

• I have no idea why the Value ones cannot have distribution, * but I do believe they are only printed in the USA and possibly only by one printer. That would make shipping more expensive across the world. Normally Lulu books are printed as close as possible to the order address.

I am not sure where the Value comes in to it, in fact (seen as UK). I have just looked at the price for an A5 with 300 pages and for Value it is £6.80, and for the same as Premium it is £5.95. Then again if I change Store to USA, Standard (Value?) is $5.25 and Premium is $7.25. Is that due to the above perhaps? *

• The distribution for "value" or "standard" is based on what retailers will print.

The pricing is likely due to the store you're in, and the various print facilities. Personally, I would never recommend using "value" or "standard", as the cost savings is not worth the lighter paper (but that's just my opinion).
  • The distribution for "value" or "standard" is based on what retailers will print.

That's not the usual reply from Lulu. Normally they say what I said, that's why I said it.  Smiley Happy  But the only retailer who also prints is Amazon is it not? If a book is ordered from a Lulu Spotlight it will be printed by some printing company, not a retailer. 

The pricing is likely due to the store you're in, and the various print facilities.

Indeed, I looked both at USA and UK and found those price differences I mentioned above. So is it because Value is only printed in the USA then?

Personally, I would never recommend using "value" or "standard", as the cost savings is not worth the lighter paper (but that's just my opinion).

And I fully agree. Premium should be renamed, Superb. It is of a far higher than average quality.