Inserting my own ISBN

I am a publisher and I purchase blocks of ISBNs and register them with Bowker.

I haven't found a way to insert them if I use your online cover creator template. Some of the other

printing companies allow me to type in the numbers and they generate a barcode for me and even insert the retail price, which I actually want...Is this possible at LULU, or do I need to keep on using a pdf with the cover already made?

I have been doing it that way and just using another online site to generate the code, and then coming here to print. But it is a hassle...I could probably do without the price but I need to find a way to make the cover with your cover creater and insert my own ISBN and have your company generate the barcode to match it. Suggestions?

Comments

• kelsay wrote:

I am a publisher and I purchase blocks of ISBNs and register them with Bowker.

I haven't found a way to insert them if I use your online cover creator template.

You have to enter them towards the start of the Project.

Some of the other printing companies allow me to type in the numbers and they generate a barcode

It will do that, at the start of the Project. It will also generate one you can download to add to your own cover artwork.

for me and even insert the retail price, which I actually want..

Retailers set their own price so it's usually pointless putting a price on, and are you going to include a price for every country it could retail in?

.Is this possible at LULU,

Well, first of all, can the Project you are creating have and ISBN and Dist? If not then the option will not appear in the Project and you will not be able to add your own either.

or do I need to keep on using a pdf with the cover already made?

If the project can have an ISBN then the basic Cover Wizard will auto-add it to the back cover, if not then it will not. The only option is to use the Advanced Cover Wizards and upload a predesigned cover, as you say.

I have been doing it that way and just using another online site to generate the code, and then coming here to print. But it is a hassle...I could probably do without the price but I need to find a way to make the cover with your cover creater and insert my own ISBN and have your company generate the barcode to match it. Suggestions?

If your Project can have an ISBN then you will be able to add one and it will place it on the back cover. If it cannot have one then it will not.

http://www.barcode.tec-it.com/en

• Well, first of all, can the Project you are creating have and ISBN and Dist?

The books are the correct size 6x9 and they have an ISBN listed with Bowker. But no, I don't want distribution, I sell

directly to bookstores and they see my information in the Bowker catalogue. I don't want expanded distribution other than using Amazon to sell the books, and Amazon wants a barcode and ISBN, but I take care of loading it at Amazon myself.

If not then the option will not appear in the Project and you will not be able to add your own either.

It sounds like if I don't want an extended distribution package I cannot insert my own ISBN? Is that correct?

• Well, first of all, can the Project you are creating have and ISBN and Dist?

The books are the correct size 6x9 and they have an ISBN listed with Bowker.

That is not the same thing. If the Project you have selected cannot have an ISBN (as indicated by a tick on Create) the option to add your own will not appear. Lulu's are registered with Ingram's I think.

But no, I don't want distribution,

Why do you need an ISBN then?

I sell directly to bookstores and they see my information in the Bowker catalogue.

What is stopping them ordering directly from Bowker's then?

I don't want expanded distribution other than using Amazon to sell the books, and Amazon wants a barcode and ISBN, but I take care of loading it at Amazon myself.

I create books for Kindle directly at Amazon and it applies an ASIN. But I am puzzled. If you do not want Lulu Dist etc., and you already sell books on Amazon (printed books via Createspace?) why are you at Lulu?

If not then the option will not appear in the Project and you will not be able to add your own either.

It sounds like if I don't want an extended distribution package I cannot insert my own ISBN? Is that correct?

Indeed. But why would you not want it?