more questions from the coil binding guy

I really appreciated your responses and encouragement to my previous post. I have just a couple more then I think I will be set to continue with this project. 

1) My book size will be 8.5x11. There is a note on the "Mandatory Requirements for Distribution" page that states that perfect-bound books will be cut down to 8.25x11. Since my book will be coil bound and not part of distribution channels, can I be assured that the book will be printed at the full 8.5x11 size?

2) The next question is about covers, but I should give some background for it to make sense. The project I am planning is actually the second (new and improved) edition of a book I created 10 years ago and attempted to self-publish at my own website, long story there, never mind about it though. The cover of the first edition was colored card-stock paper, and was a simple pdf for black ink. Here is  a picture of it:

20170130_134025.jpg

This is a very traditional look for music book covers, and I wish to continue with it. But from what I can find so far concerning the Lulu cover wizards, I'm not sure this approach is possible. Is there any way to say "Use salmon card-stock and print this pdf on it for the cover?" It is important to avoid anything flashy or glossy for this type of book. It has to look scholarly.  

3) Lulu is going to be around forever, isn't it? I hope once I get this taken care of and available, I will be able to (eventually) go to my grave confident that this book will be available to anyone who wants a copy in perpetuity. 

Thanks,

Ned

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I really appreciated your responses and encouragement to my previous post. I have just a couple more then I think I will be set to continue with this project. 

1) My book size will be 8.5x11. There is a note on the "Mandatory Requirements for Distribution" page that states that perfect-bound books will be cut down to 8.25x11. Since my book will be coil bound and not part of distribution channels, can I be assured that the book will be printed at the full 8.5x11 size?

I would assume that advice applies even without an ISBN because the same printing companies will be used even if ordered only from your Spotlight. I would expect you are only losing 1/8th of an inch from the top and the same from the bottom though, it will hardly be noticed, but you can add it to the top and bottom margins if it makes you feel more comfortable. It could be wise to add extra Gutter to the 'bound' edge as well to allow for the coil. Or just wait to see a Proof and then make adjustments.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

2) The next question is about covers, but I should give some background for it to make sense. The project I am planning is actually the second (new and improved) edition of a book I created 10 years ago and attempted to self-publish at my own website, long story there, never mind about it though. The cover of the first edition was colored card-stock paper, and was a simple pdf for black ink. Here is  a picture of it:

20170130_134025.jpg

This is a very traditional look for music book covers, and I wish to continue with it. But from what I can find so far concerning the Lulu cover wizards, I'm not sure this approach is possible. Is there any way to say "Use salmon card-stock and print this pdf on it for the cover?"

There is no need to use coloured card because the colour can be and is printed. Whatever you can create will be printed. (BTW. I would increase the font size).

It is important to avoid anything flashy or glossy for this type of book. It has to look scholarly.

That could be a problem because to protect the laser-jet ink the covers are clear laminated. (It also thickens the card used a bit). They are not  in-your-face glossy, but they are not matte either. I would not see it as a problem though. 'Scholarly' could just mean photocopied onto bog-standard paper and card and bound on cheap school machines.  Knocking around somewhere I have some off-the-shelf old A4 paperbacked books full of simple music (perhaps no more than 80 pages each) and they are also not matte and are stapled.   People will be more concerned about the content.

3) Lulu is going to be around forever, isn't it?

That's a long time, so who can predict that? but I think so far they have been around for about 15 years.

I hope once I get this taken care of and available, I will be able to (eventually) go to my grave confident that this book will be available to anyone who wants a copy in perpetuity. 

Gosh, and where will your profit for the book go to?! BTW, are these tunes you have written?

Thanks,

Ned

• Hi Ned,

1) The trim variation for distribution is unlikely to impact your work printed by a Lulu printer to the degree of 0.25". Possibly within 0.125" but even then, out printers are good at finishing and usually can stay very close to the true size.

2) From your image, I see color on the inside of the front cover. That's something we can't do at this time.

3) I hope we're around for a long long time!
  • Thank you Paul, I was hoping to hear that. Fiddling with gutter margins is is a simple matter when the content is mere words, but for music, minor adjustments there have the potential to cause all sorts of re-formatting to be done. I have allowed extra room along the inside gutter edge where the coil binding is, and versions of the book I have previously printed at the local copymart look fine in that respect. In case you would like to see part of what the inside of the book looks like it is still possible to download the first 7 example pages of the book at www.nedgerhart.com. (I gave up on the self-publishing effort in about 2012, and what to do has been hanging over me ever since. Lulu. )

So for the cover then, I can just add colored background to the cover.pdf I have been using? Inside color doesn't matter. That was only because colored card stock was used, handy at the copymart. 

I guess if I really wanted an example of finished size and cover qualities, I might be able to locate another 8.5x11 coil-bound book on lulu.com. I don't think it is possible to search lulu.com by size and binding though - would you be able to mention a couple?

Thanks. 

• Off the top of my head I can't think of any.

But you would likely get the best price if you just made a book as a sample and bought it.
  • Some people kindly seem to title their books as coil-bound, so >>

https://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=coil+bound&type=

And Paul is right, and something I have also suggested. Create a book on Private and buy a sample Proof. You can even upload a file of blank pages if you like if all you want to do is measure it.