Design and layout services for self-published authors

Hi everyone - I've recently joined Lulu to offer my design and layout services to first-time and experienced self-publishers.

Many self-published authors find designing and formatting their own books to be the most difficult part of the publishing process. I am a book designer with years of experience designing and formatting book covers and interiors from the simplest to the most complex manuscripts. I can help you create the book YOU envision without the intense learning curve of doing it yourself.

Please feel free to visit my website jputnamdesign.com and/or ask me questions either in this thread or by email.

Happy to be here and looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Jenny

Comments

• Beautiful work!

Call me thick, but I cannot find any image that looks like an actual book!

I also cannot find any pricing.

One problem of course, is, in a self-publishing world such as Lulu, people cannot afford any services.   Smiley Frustrated

• Thank you Ron! Your work is beautiful as well.

Jenny

• Hi Kevin

My website is an online portfolio, not an e-commerce site. I have no cookie-cutter pricing structure - my fees are based on each individual author's needs. After an in-depth discussion of a client's needs, I create a personalized estimate for every customer, as every project is different. If you have any specific questions regarding my services, I would be more than happy to answer them for you.

As to the images on my website, I can assure that every one of the books pictured are actual published, printed books.

Thanks!

Jenny

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

JennyPutnam wrote:

Hi Kevin

My website is an online portfolio, not an e-commerce site. I have no cookie-cutter pricing structure - my fees are based on each individual author's needs. After an in-depth discussion of a client's needs, I create a personalized estimate for every customer, as every project is different.

In what way? But you are competing with many designers who do show example prices.

If you have any specific questions regarding my services, I would be more than happy to answer them for you.

Thank you, but I do my own,  Smiley Happy  I was just thinking of those who do not, and may be worried about asking you because no prices are shown. It is a bit like clothing shops that do not display prices in window displays. Most people know they are very expensive shops so never go in!

As to the images on my website, I can assure that every one of the books pictured are actual published, printed books.

Oh, I did not say they are not books, just that they do not look like books. I assume they are front, spine and back on display, as one-piece? This is normally how buyers see a book nowadays,  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Republic-Penguin-Classics-Plato/dp/0140455116/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1485567742&sr=1-1  not fully opened out. Could I suggest you display front, spine, back, with at least the fold lines if not as separations side by side?

Just a thought or two.

• Thanks for your thoughts, Kevin. I will definitely mull them over.

Jenny

• JennyPutnam wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts, Kevin. I will definitely mull them over.

Jenny

You get a kudo for not getting pulled into the endless and pointless discussion. Godspeed.

You get a kudo for not getting pulled into the endless and pointless discussion. Godspeed.

There's nothing else to say from either parties, unless you can think of something?

• I think her design skills are perfectly evident from the examples on her website.

And, from my own experience, pricing can depend a great deal on the nature of the book rather than on flat fees.

kevinlomas wrote:

Call me thick, but I cannot find any image that looks like an actual book!

I also cannot find any pricing.

One problem of course, is, in a self-publishing world such as Lulu, people cannot afford any services.   Smiley Frustrated

• Skoob_Ym wrote:

Jenny

I can second that!

So I am not alone in my feelings on this matter! Sometimes I really want to tear my hair out.

I think her design skills are perfectly evident from the examples on her website.

I am convinced that people only read half of what I type in here. I never questioned the lady's credentials.

And, from my own experience, pricing can depend a great deal on the nature of the book rather than on flat fees.

Old school, perhaps, for major publishers who can afford that, but you know as well as I do that there are places on line that can churn out decent stuff for a flat-rate.

There's even this place >>  http://lp.fiverr.com/lp-go-ebookcovers/?u_sou=bing&u_med=cpc&u_cam=B_UK_eBook-Cover-Design_Exact&u_ter=Exact_Book-Cover-Design&u_con=AdID^78271490514623^Keyword^book%20cover%20designers^Placement^{placement}^Device^c

It is you lot continuing this. I made a few suggestions, the lady graciously and politely said she will give them some thought. End-off.