existing paperback, trying to make an ebook

Hi i have got my book in paperback, now I want to put it on ebook. 

I have a front and back cover already all sorted but I dont know what to do now. 

I have tried on the page but its telling me i have multiple errors, I just want to upload it as is. It won't allow me to use the existing cover?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Ebook covers (called "marketing images") are a different size than print books. Change it to 612 X 792 pixels and save at 300 dpi.

• Scazrose153 wrote:

Hi i have got my book in paperback, now I want to put it on ebook. 

Do you mean an ePub or a PDF because they are not at all the same?

I have a front and back cover already all sorted but I dont know what to do now.

EPubs do not have back covers and in fact do not really have front ones (PDFs can have though). Lulu call it the Marketing Image because it is used to display the 'Front Cover' on retail sites. It will also be added to the ePub's file so that it will also appear as the 'Front Cover' on e-reader's 'shelves' to click on to open the book.

I have tried on the page

Which page? Are we talking about in the Marketing Image Wizard or on the page of your file of pages? If so then do not add it.

but its telling me i have multiple errors, I just want to upload it as is. It won't allow me to use the existing cover?

Any ideas?

Apart from the sizing mentioned in the previous post, are you trying to upload a full cover? A one piece front, spine and back? It will only allow and use the one smallish image it asks for. That 612 X 792 pix one. A jpg is often best also.

• I've actually uploaded the same document I used for my paperback to make the ebook. The only change I made was to add the new ISBN to the copyright page. The covertor removed the Toc. I made the title and each chapter title heading one and the covertor made a Toc from that. Just uploading the front cover is all that is necessary, you don't need the back.

• its saying i have too many chapters? 

i tried the wizard and followed the steps but i will try again Smiley Happy thanks for the advice

• TheJesusNinja wrote:

I've actually uploaded the same document I used for my paperback to make the ebook. The only change I made was to add the new ISBN to the copyright page. The covertor removed the Toc. I made the title and each chapter title heading one and the covertor made a Toc from that. Just uploading the front cover is all that is necessary, you don't need the back.

I prefer to remove the Headers, Footers, Sections and Page Breaks myself. And whatever already uses a Heading Style.

And that is very easy to do.

Just hilite all the bodytext. Copy it. Paste it to something like Notepad. Open a new Docx page (I set it to A4). Copy the text from Notepad and Paste it to the new docx page. That will result in a plain-text file of pages with none of the above, ideal for conversion to ePub. Then tag whatever is wanted in a TOC with HS1.

• its saying i have too many chapters?

How many is too many?

Anyhow, check what you have tagged with HS1. It only needs to be actual chapter headings.

In fact to pass the conversion scrutiny you only need Title and the word Copyright as a heading on the Copyright page tagged with HS1. That's often all I do. One sees far too many Previews of books with just, say, 30 pages, and 20 of them are the TOC!

• "Too Many Chapters" wont prevent you from moving forward, its just a warning to prompt you to review the file. You want to be sure only chapters and such are in the table of contents.
  • If you still trying to make an ebook

If you want to make it an epub and not simple ebook to pdf you must leave it at the form the Word system gave you and the only change you must do is to make the chapters to Heading 1. <<<<Anything else is useless>>>>. Then (if you have new Windows) at the Word button up to the left, you go to the Preparation and save it as Stamping As Complete. Then send this document to Lulu's system.

If you want to make it a pdf, make a Table of contens do any changes you want and save it as Stamping As Complete again.

Lulu's system converts all documents.

Some time the message Lulu sent us is deferent from the real problem because the system doesn’t recognize the real one.