Pricing a 36 page paperback for Amazon

My best selling book is an ebook. Only 36 pages long. I thought maybe to increase sales I'd do a paperback version. Lulu recommends $4.69 for the book. At that rate I'd make .21 per copy. I increased it to $6.95 or so to make $1 profit from Amazon. Is this too high? I think so but it's the only price I can make a profit. With shipping it'd be high but since many have Amazon prime it might not matter.

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

It is always a problem with POD. It is so expensive to start with so very hard to make a decent profit (and retailers often add a lot, anyway, often regardless of the cost to them. They get the lion's share almost always.)

I often think that if a 'sensible' profit is set, so as not to make something look too expensive, then more will sell.

What is better? Making $2 each for 10 sales or making $0.50c each for 50 sales?

Then again, it's always possible that only 10 will sell! But it's a risk marketeers often take.

It often depends on the subject matter though, if a book is a unique factual one useful to many people then perhaps a high price can be asked.

• Minimum 90 cents. Take i or leave it.

But, make it worth the price. Must be so good thta they do not care about cost.

A citizen of the world.

• The ebook is getting 77 cents profit per book on Amazon. I raised the price to $2.99 like most kindles that size and sold half of what I did. Currently it's priced at $1.99 which I think is cheap for a kindle.

Em_Press wrote:

Minimum 90 cents. Take i or leave it.

But, make it worth the price. Must be so good thta they do not care about cost

They will not know that until they have bought and read it, and before then they have to buy it first. But with fiction (and factual, really) there's a lot of famous names at it, and one cannot really cost more than they do.

TheJesusNinja wrote:

The ebook is getting 77 cents profit per book on Amazon. I raised the price to $2.99 like most kindles that size and sold half of what I did. Currently it's priced at $1.99 which I think is cheap for a kindle.

Em_Press wrote:

Minimum 90 cents. Take i or leave it.

There's that moderately well-known story of the fiction writer who's latest book was not doing well on Amazon. His publisher had set his e-book at £9.99 (same price as the printed version). He then insisted they set it at £0.99p and within in one year he had made a £million from it. How many would have sold at $2.99 is anyone's guess because it was not offered at that price.