Hardcover -- the new trend

Ok, the biggest realization and discovery" People want hardcover, libraries want hardcover.

I published three last month-- two weeks before Christmas. One has no backcover and preview and is a niche book. No sales yet.

The other two, total 12 sales. One of them has the back cover text cut vertically -- one quarter is missing -- and still, two sales.

The third barely made it on Amazon before Christmas as I thought of doing it late, but lulu was fast. Ten sales.

Not only are buyers moving away from ebooks to print  books, but they want something that will last generations.

The biggest shock. They cost a fortune, but that will not stop buyers. They want quality.

Make hardcovers, everyone.

Comments

• I love hardbacks too. When I see people adverstising their bestselling books on TV it's always a hardback. Much more fun to read than kindles. I have one of my Kung fu book but it's only sold two copies in two years. But that is a thought Em.

• I did it as an experiment and I was itching to create something new and quick, and I had the main files. A complete surprise.

• Just give everyone the option to buy whatever format they choose. You know it's not too hard to create the same book in many bindings and sizes.

One thing not to forget is that in the mainstream publishing world First Editions are almost always hardbacked with dustcovers. Perhaps that is because they know that avid fans of some writer want that (possibly in case they become collectible). Later they bung it out as a much cheaper paperback for the masses.

One amazing example of a collector's edition of a popular book is a Harry Potter bound in leather and lettered in gold leaf. They do now actually reproduce them, but not as First Editions and often only as sets, but I would assume most people buy them not leatherbound, for a few £1s.

https://juniperbooks.com/store/custom-leather-harry-potter-set/

I like real books as well. I am not sure why. I wonder about buying some device to read e-books on, but never bother. But I cannot understand the concept of people needing 10000s of 'books' in their pockets any more than I can understand why people need to carry around 30,000,000 MP3s. (When I go out I like to hear my surroundings.)

I don't really care if I get hardbacked or paperbacked, in fact I usually buy books locally as Used and just buy what they have in, and often a few at a time, and also often for less than a 'new' e-book. Four books for £1 for example.

• I now have twenty-five books in paperback and e-book format and recently decided to make one of them hardback. I was satisfied with the result, but it's so darn expensive. I, like most prefer actual books rather than electronic ones, but my e-books by far outsell my print books. Anyway, my intention is to devise more hardbacks; mainly for my own collection, as I don't expect many sales from them, given the price.