number of pages or word count for ebooks

Hi is there a set min or max for an ebook in terms of words or pages to get published via Lulu to all distributors?

e.g It must be a min of 500 words or 20 words? etc

Comments

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

I don't know the exact answer but I think Kindle's guideline is that the customer should not feel cheated so a two page book will not cut the mustard.

I sell stories of about 5000 words - sometimes a little shorter - but I always state in the blurb what the word count is. The maximum is probably decided by file size rather than word count but I should imagine you easily get an ebook of half a million words published.

Ebooks don't have pages.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

As Dan has said, ePubs as such do not actually have pages, so I doubt there is any min or max limit. (Your text is converted to Flowing Text.)

Same with word count. No limit that am aware of, but as Dan also says, people do expect value for money even with ePubs!

Other sites usually also generate Previews and people will be a bit suspicious if all that's displayed is one 'page', or 50 words.

I have always said that it's wrong that most sites note a page count with e-books, because most types have no true pages, and word count should be noted only.