There do not appear to be chapters in your file - yet there ARE!

MAKING AN EBOOK ISSUE

Having a hard time formatting my .docx file so that lulu will proceed with the EBook interior file. 

I have selected-created Headings, only two layers (1 for my title, 1 for my copyright page and then 2 for all the chapters of the book, I do not require a third level). 

It must be said I work on a French software (for me, "Heading 1" is "Titre 1"). 

What am I missing???

Why do I get the error message : there do not appear to be chapters in your file... 

Please help,

Jason

Comments

•  

Make everything Titre 1, and put title on very first line.

It should work. If it does not, click on View/navigation within Word and see what headings appear on your left hand side.

• Are you sure Titre is not title? Then what is title?

Double check.

• I have selected-created Headings, only two layers (1 for my title, 1 for my copyright page and then 2 for all the chapters of the book, I do not require a third level). 

It must be said I work on a French software (for me, "Heading 1" is "Titre 1"). 

If by 2 layers you mean a TOC with sub-TOCs, then the book's title should be Heading Style 1 and the word Copyright as a heading on the Copyright Page should also be Heading Style 1.

The words Table of Contents on the  TOC page should also be Heading Style 1.

But you can have sub-TOCs using Heading Styles 2 and 3. But HS2 must be preceded by HS 1 (main TOC words) and HS 3 must be preceded by HS 2. Then it has to be an HS 1 again.

Main (HS 1)

Sub (HS 2)

sub-sub (HS 3)

Main (HS 1)

Sub (HS 2)

sub-sub (HS 3)

(Heading in French is indeed Titre)

• Thanks for the assistance. 

Did that, everything looked all right when going to View - Navigation (I could see all my headings, in order). 

This time around, when submitting the file for conversion, I got this error message: 

We experienced an unknown issue while trying to convert your file to an EPUB.

Please review your EPUB against the Troubleshooting chapter of our eBook creator guide. If you are still having trouble, please contact customer support for further assistance.

Note: You can also choose one of our eBook conversion packages and let us create your eBook for you.

Can't find what I could be doing wrong... damning... 

Smiley Sad 

Jason

• Hmm... you got rid of H2 and made everythign H1?

Try saving as doc instead of docx.

Upload again.

Also, got into File/Check for Issues, remove all properties, headers footers, hidden code.

You are using Microsoft Word, correct?

• It's a shame the Wizard cannot be more precise when it reports a problem. At one time it was, but with the assumption everyone knew what all the terms meant and were perhaps even uploading an ePub. It reported faults via email that could actually be replied to and would then be answered by a human.

• Hi Jason,

I just sent you a reply through the support case you opened. It looks like the problem is the auto-format bullet lists you have in the file. Feel free to respond to the case email I sent if you need more help, but once you've got the bullets removed the file should convert without a problem.
  • well, i dont think i have properly created chapters. how do i even start?