Book Content- transcribing

I have written a history book.

It cites over 150 historical documents which are published online.

I don't require permission to transcribe these documents because they fall under the fair use copyright rules.

The documents themselves take up about 70 percent of the book.

Each document is then 'decoded'. It is essentialy a cipher that has never thought to have been suspected before.

In this way the document becomes brand new. It was crafted like this by design.

Welcome to the mind of Benjamin Franklin.

It is my opinion that the entire book is original content. The letters themselves are not filler but required reference points.

Each one pertains directly to the narrative of the book itself. The narrative is new history.

I don't think that I'm going to have any issues in light of what I have shared.

The research involved in this book was actually locating these letters and recognizing them. Part two was deciphering them which is then applied to the books narrative. They are the source of the narrative.

Here is an example of a letter I transcribed from Franklinpapers.org.

"From David Rittenhouse

als: American Philosophical Society

Philadelphia April 29th. 1780

Sir

Amidst the many important objects of your attention I doubt not but you sometimes unbend your mind by an Excursion thro’ the fields of Philosophy, I shall therefore make no apology for communicating to you a freak of Nature which seems to be new, at least it is so to us. On the 19th. of August last during a heavy Shower of Rain, not attended by any Thunder lightning or wind, a prodigious Torrent fell on the North or Blue Mountain 10 Miles from Carlisle, and Carried away every Rock and Tree however large that stood in its Course, it likewise tore up the Earth & Stones from 4 to 10 feet deep, and from two to 6 perchers wide, for upwards of 100 rod, that is from very near the top of the Mountain down to the foot of the first Steep Ascent. I had heard such wonderful accounts of the effects of this Cataract that I was induced to take a ride of 130 miles to view the Spot, and spent a whole Day there with satisfaction and astonishment. The facts I am perfectly convinced of by my own observation, and which appear to me most worthy of your notice are these. It was certainly a stream of water falling from the Clouds in a Spot not above 10 yards diameter, and not any Collection of waters falling in rain, on the surface of the Earth. The face of the mountain will not admit a possibility of suppoing it to have been a collection of water already fallen in rain the common way, it being a very high narrow ridge, and the Soil, Stony, Sandy and sufficently porous to drink up rains falling in the common way. And tho’ the Stream seems to have continued some time, certainly at least a few minutes, it nevertheless fell invariably in the same Spot, without moving to the right or left. I should be happy in having your opinion on this matter, my own Conjecture is that a Great Quantity of the Electric fluid, passing silently from the Cloud to the Mountain, carried the forming drops of rain from all quarters of the Cloud to one point, and by uniting them producd this prodigious Cataract

I am, Dr. Sir, with the utmost respect and esteem, your sincere friend and most obedient humble Servant

Davd. Rittenhouse

Dr. Franklin "

It is a competely contrived letter and a cipher.

"David Rittenhouse" is part of the cipher.

"The spot" is part of the cipher

130 miles is part of the cipher.

Aug 19 is part of the cipher and pertains to an assicated event.

Cataract is part of the cipher

freak of nature is part of the cipher

Blue mountain is part of the cipher

Carlilse is part of the cipher

.. and about 6 more things.

The other 85 letters I transcribe are decoded in a similar manner.

This particular letter is related directly to the United States Seal (think eye of providence and prymid). At the spot,

which I was able to locate is actually a physical pyramid. In that pryamid there is a viewing room and in that hang

3 bronze plaques Two of them are the front and back of the United States Seal. The third is a clue to a secret they hold.

The plaques were created by Benjamin Franklin. His name is actually inscribed on a plaque on the outside of this pyramid.

What I just talked about take up 6 pages and there are 2 other letters related to it. One from James Madison and the other by Thomas Jefferson.

The book is 145,000 words.

Comments

• I have written a history book.

It cites over 150 historical documents which are published online.

They are possibly well out of copyright, if they ever were copyrighted. 

I don't require permission to transcribe these documents because they fall under the fair use copyright rules.

But that does not mean that the contents of sites are not copyrighted. As to Fair Usage, this is a good read >>   http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/what-is-fair-use/

The documents themselves take up about 70 percent of the book.

Each document is then 'decoded'. It is essentialy a cipher that has never thought to have been suspected before.

But I am sure I have seen that done before, and even in fiction. Not that long ago I read a book of fiction based around working out clues in Franklin's letters and notes.

In this way the document becomes brand new. It was crafted like this by design.

Welcome to the mind of Benjamin Franklin.

It is my opinion that the entire book is original content. The letters themselves are not filler but required reference points.

Each one pertains directly to the narrative of the book itself. The narrative is new history

So are you asking if it is safe to publish it then?

• Thank you for your response.

He wrote many of these special letters themselves. i have just given you a context to something you have never heard of before.  Now you can apply it to this particular excerpt. he wrote in a letter dated June 12, 1823.

History may distort truth, and will distort it for a time, by the superior efforts at justification of those who are conscious of needing it most. Nor will the opening scenes of our present government be seen in their true aspect, until the letters of the day, now held in private hoards, shall be broken up and laid open to public view. What a treasure will be found in General Washington's cabinet, when it shall pass into the hands of as candid a friend to truth as he was himself!"

Pretend for a moment that the book I'm writing is the "public view". Pretend I've located 20 letters in Benjamin Franklins "private hoard", being the American Philosophical Society.  All these letters were hidden in plain view but what has never been known is that they were always ciphers. They all have a secondardy meaning. Pretend the men in the cabinet are

George Washington, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, THomas Jefferson and John Jay. Now pretend the treasure is actually the final legacy of the United States Constution which has yet to be realized.

At Franklinpapers.org they state this...

"These writings are more than two hundred years old, and the content of the original texts should be considered in the public domain. Nevertheless, if you wish to reproduce any of these materials for commercial purposes or on a scale beyond "fair use" you will be responsible for ensuring that you are not violating any rights of the publisher or the people who provided some of these documents. 

In the fair use copyright law it states this "Additionally, “transformative” uses are more likely to be considered fair.  Transformative uses are those that add something new, with a further purpose or different character, and do not substitute for the original use of the work."

The book I'm writing requires those letters and transforms them into an original work.  They all collectively point like a lazer beam to the final legacy of the United States Constitution.  Now pretend that I'm the "Candid friend to truth beause I've located over 150 of these letters, all hidden in plain view. "laid open to public view" means transformed or deciphered.

In light of all this I'm certain I don't need permission to transribe these letters which span a time of about 45 years. They were all written for one specific purpose and one specific audience. The niche market for this book is the United States of America.

My other question pertains to the rules of Ebook publishing and original content. I know with amazon you must have at least 70 percent original content or the royalty structure changes dramatically. It appears that lulu has something similar for ebooks and original content.  Its my view that even though I have to transcribe these letters, the content of the book is 100 percent original content because those letters have been transformed. My labour that went into locating those letters recognizing them deciphering them and subsequently extracting a new narrative of history is the very foundation for the book, among other things.

1) I don't think I have to ask permission.

2) I think the content , even that which I have transribed it can be considered 100 percent original content

for the simple reason that I've changed its every word. I also require it to validate the integrity of the new narrative in that I present the entire document so that it can be seen I'm taking nothing out of context.

• nice broo