direct purchase from lulu option: free postage

Suggestion for a sale price option: the option to buy direct from lulu with free postage.

Free postage encourages online sales.

List price remains the same across all sales channels.

The cost of the postage is deducted from the author markup.

Minimum price for a book is therefore print+ max.p&p.

Example:

lulu direct purchase price =$12. 

Print price $3.

Pack & Post ranges from $1.30 to $2.50.

Therefore, direct purchase with free postage:

Sell at $12.

Less print $3 = $9

Less p&p if $1.30 = $7.70 or less p&p if  $2.50 = $6.50

Author revenue = $7.70 or $6.50

Minimum list price (with free postage offer) = $5.50 (say, within US &UK&Europe only)

Comments

• Suggestion for a sale price option: the option to buy direct from lulu

But you can buy direct from Lulu, via the Spotlights.

with free postage.

Lulu do not print the books, so the printers' shipping is charged and direct to the customer, who is not actually Lulu but the buyer.

Free postage encourages online sales.

Nothing is ever really free, it's just built in to the cost of the product, or it is paid for by a lesser profit. Lulu do often offer free postage, though, and even discounts on the products. Lulu are actually business-minded.

List price remains the same across all sales channels.

Lulu, and you, have no control over the price that other retailers charge for our books.

The cost of the postage is deducted from the author markup.

Hardly free then is it? And POD is so expensive as it is deducting shipping from most mark-ups would mean we would be making no money. Add shipping to the price of the book , to allow for it, + some profit, and we would sell fewer books.

Minimum price for a book is therefore print+ max.p&p.

Which would add the cost of shipping to the total cost would it not? But it would not be easy add it in to Cost because not all shipping is the same price.

Example:

lulu direct purchase price =$12. 

Print price $3.

Gosh, that is a big mark-up.

Pack & Post ranges from $1.30 to $2.50.

But you must be suggesting that shipping is added during the Wizard process, but you have already given an example of why it cannot.

Therefore, direct purchase with free postage:

Sell at $12.

Less print $3 = $9

Less p&p if $1.30 = $7.70 or less p&p if  $2.50 = $6.50

Author revenue = $7.70 or $6.50

Minimum list price (with free postage offer) = $5.50 (say, within US &UK&Europe only)

It's far from free. You have just marked a $3 to create book up to $12 in order to pay for shipping. What's that? a 400% markup?

• You've not understood...
    The aim is to have a promotion option: to have the book available for sale with FREE shipping. It's about the customer purchase experience, not me as the author.

Of course, there's no such thing as free, but I'm talking from the buyer's viewpoint. For them, they see no extra shipping costs added. For example, free shipping promotions can be seen on Amazon and other shop websites.

My example calculation tried to show that the postage cost is covered within the author revenue. It's a suggestion how postage costs might be managed.

• You've not understood...

I have fully understood, it's you who does not understand economics. Such as over-increasing a product's price to include 'free' shipping. Buyers are not all stupid.

The aim is to have a promotion option: to have the book available for sale with FREE shipping.

Well, if you sold from off your own site, perhaps you could. But you would first have to mail them to yourself in order to mail them to buyers. That's double the shipping cost ... or you could own Lulu or Amazon.

It's about the customer purchase experience, not me as the author.

It is also about you because would you not be hoping to increase sales? But it would not if the cost of shipping has to be worked in to the cost of the product. Print on Demand is already very expensive.

Of course, there's no such thing as free,

I am glad you realise that.

but I'm talking from the buyer's viewpoint. For them, they see no extra shipping costs added. For example, free shipping promotions can be seen on Amazon and other shop websites.

Very often they can also be seen on Lulu, who often offer use at the checkout discount codes, which I am sure buyers notice. But is your book also not on all those other sites via the use of a FREE Lulu ISBN? (If so you could hassle Amazon about free-shipping.) People can shop around for the best deal.  We have no control over what retailers do. We just publish our books, and then retailers sell them in whatever manner they wish.

My example calculation tried to show that the postage cost is covered within the author revenue. It's a suggestion how postage costs might be managed.

It's not possible because Lulu sells and ships worldwide which means the shipping costs are not always the same for each order.